Plugin Contributions

Default Round dollars including tax?

Hello, I have a general enquiry about whether something is possible in Zencart.

I'd like to list all our products with round whole-dollar prices, including GST (10% of nett). Our current shopping cart (X-cart) cannot manage this, as it can only manage 2 decimal places for nett prices and by adding 10% to some figures we end up at either $xx.99 or $xx.01 (for example, I can't end up with a round retail price of $159.00).

So I guess the question is, does Zencart support enough decimal places to achieve this, or alternatively will it allow me to specify a gross price and calculate GST accordingly?

(BTW I don't have a working install to play with, we're moving servers and I'm weighing up whether to reinstall X-Cart or go with something better).

Many thanks
    Last edited by Dakar; 15 Jan 2010 at 12:09 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Round dollars including tax?

Admin>Localization

select your currency, edit the field "Decimal Places:" - set to "0"

I have not tried it myself as I need decimals but it should work

Frank

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    select your currency, edit the field "Decimal Places:" - set to "0"
    Aah, not more decimal places but less... how very zen

Thanks Frank. Presumably this would still allow GST to be calculated including cents? That would seem logical to me anyway.

I might have to give this thing a go.

Plugin Contributions

I might have to give this thing a go.
    I'd be interested in your findings

Frank

Plugin Contributions

The devs may correct me, but I'm pretty sure ZC uses only one chunk of code for calculations. So if you set the decimals as instructed above, that's all it will have to work with and the calculations will be off. What you seem to want to do is calculate using the usual 2 decimal places so you get the correct answer, then round off only for display purposes. ZC doesn't have that ability. I believe I've seen a thread here that suggests it will be able to do that in v2, some day, maybe.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rob, I work for an importer and wholesaler so we set nice round 'recommended retail' prices for our products, and we don't bother with cents. Our shopping cart is not competitive, we just provide a means for interested consumers to learn about our products and buy them at RRP if they can't find them stocked locally.

In Australia, all prices displayed to a customer must include GST. Therefore what I'd like to do is to set the 'total' price of a product to, say, $159.00 (whether it displays the zero cents is not important), and have the cart figure out tax as a portion of that. In this example the nett price would be $144.55, and the GST would be $14.45.

However, if I set the nett price as $144.55 and apply 10% GST, I end up with $159.01. If I set the nett price as $144.54 I end up with $158.99. So I can't actually specify my desired sale price.

Thinking about it I wouldn't be able to solve this with extra decimal places anyway. I really need the system to be able to list the tax component as a percentage (9.09%) of the total price.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Dakar; 15 Jan 2010 at 11:33 PM.
    ZenCart version 1.3.8 provided and installed via www.quadrahosting.com.au 'EasyApp'

Plugin Contributions

Actually it would work if I could just specify my nett price to more decimal places (eg $144.541 + 10% = $159.00).
    ZenCart version 1.3.8 provided and installed via www.quadrahosting.com.au 'EasyApp'

Plugin Contributions

Dakar

If your settings under Admin>Locations / Taxes are set correctly then for every individual product you only need to specify

Tax = Taxable Goods

don't enter anything in the field "Products Price (Net):" - leave it blank

Then in the field "Products Price (Gross):" enter the price you want to see displayed in the store and on invoices, namely (for Aussie) the price including GST. Once you enter the gross price you will see net price display a figure = (gross/11*10) which is the price excluding GST.

Frank