Plugin Contributions

Default Can I delete demo products?

When I installed my Zen-Cart it asked me if I wanted to use the example items and such. I said yes. I wish I had said no. How do I get rid of all the example in one step. Are their files I can delete or anything?

John

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Starting from scratch!

No files because these are in the DB
    Have you completed any customization?
    Have you followed the override rules?

If so - you can preserve the override folders and re-install
    Re-insert your override filders and activate your template from the admin
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I delete demo products?

You don't need to re-install - just go to your Admin and delete the categories and products.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    You don't need to re-install - just go to your Admin and delete the categories and products
    True - - But ID's will increment from last one entered
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Kobra, I think you've answered my questions. But, since I wrote them out before I got here, I'm going to ask, anyway.

My Zen Cart 1.3.8a is local, as I'm still learning. It won't be live until I know what I'm doing. With that said.....

I have the example products that came with my new Zen Cart installation still in my catalog. I don't want to delete them yet, as they're helping me understand how the different product attributes work. But, they are already set up as categories 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

My question is, can I change the category "ID number" of each of these example categories? I want to move them down to, for example, categories 301, 302, 303, etc., so I can put my own cateories in slots 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

I guess my general questions are: Can category ID numbers be changed once they've been created? If a category (and all the products in it) is deleted, can that deleted category ID number be reused?

- - - - - - - - - -

Now, from what I've just read here, Zen Cart will automatically give any category I add an ID number higher than 174, which is the highest number used by the example categories. Is this true? There is no way to change this, other than doing a fresh install without the examples? Thank you for your time.

Gail
    Last edited by moonlight; 12 Feb 2010 at 07:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
    I guess my general questions are: Can category ID numbers be changed once they've been created?
    No.
    If a category (and all the products in it) is deleted, can that deleted category ID number be reused?
    On a practical level, no. If you wanted to hack the database, then yes you could make it happen, but there are a *lot* of things to be sure you keep in sync across multiple tables. So, it is not advisable to muck with it unless you've carefully studied all the database intricacies and know exactly what you're doing.
    Now, from what I've just read here, Zen Cart will automatically give any category I add an ID number higher than 174, which is the highest number used by the example categories. Is this true? There is no way to change this, other than doing a fresh install without the examples?
    Again, the simple answer is, yes, that's how it works.

There's nothing stopping you from setting up 2 stores: one with demo products for exploration and testing, and another one without demo products for using to set up your live site.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, Dr. Byte.

Simple answers work for me. :)

Setting up a second local store is a brilliant idea for me. That way, I won't ruin any of the example categories or products by accident. They are terrific teaching tools! There is so much to learn.....

I appreciate your time. Thanks, again.

Gail