Plugin Contributions

Default Struggling with finding an element which needs to be modified

All this will sound silly, but I've been searching for hours for something and can't find it. According to a number of threads, I need to find the class, "imgLink," and then edit that file.

The problem is, I can't find it. I'm new to all of this (ZC1.3.8), and have installed Firebug, and can see that when I edit this element, it does what I want it to do, but for the life of me, I can't find the file defined anywhere.

In one forum I see that I can go to Tools>Developer's Toolkit, which looks to be a cool toy, but I'm not sure how it works. I inserted "imgLink" everywhere, in all six categories, and never files found.

I found another forum where it said this file was in tpl_product_info_display.php, which I eventually located, but there was no reference to the file there.

I suppose the question buried in here is "if I know what I need to change, what is the best method for finding which instance of that element I need to change?"

My site isn't live so can't really show you what I mean, but am hoping some generic advice on using Firebug, or this other Toolkit, will get me on my way.

Your help is hugely appreciated. Sean

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Struggling with finding an element which needs to be modified

.imgLink is not a file, it is a selector name for a rule that can go in your stylesheet. It is possible that no rule exists yet; if not, you can add a new rule in
    /includes/templates/your_template/css/stylesheet.css. Do not touch any PHP files for this.

If you were searching files for .imgLink, you would not find it, because it is written in the PHP files as class="imgLink" without the dot.

Plugin Contributions

Excuse the non-tech jargon, but I think it is somewhere just can't figure out where. Here is why I think it exists. If I right click on the element I want to change (using firebug) I get:

<span class="imgLink">larger image</span>

BTW, have also searched stylesheet.css for the string imgLink, and it is not found. I realise that it is not a file, but a string I'm looking for within a file, but it would seem there would have to be away to locate that string . . . I just can't get my head around it.

Any other ideas?

Plugin Contributions

You were on the right track - searching for 'imglink' in the Developers Tool Kit shows two files:

includes/modules/additional_images.php

and

includes/templates/template_default/templates/tpl_modules_main_product_image.php

Plugin Contributions

*But* you don't want to touch either of those files.

You need to add a rule to your stylesheet like
    Code:
    .imgLink {your-property: your-value;}
    There is no existing rule for .imgLink in the stylesheet, or the Developers Toolkit search would have found it.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks All -- I guess I messed up using Developer's Toolkit. For those of you wanting to use this tool. I found the easiest method was to go to the last search section, "Look-up in all files," and then make sure that you change "All Files Look-ups:" from "none" to "All Files Catalog/Admin."

Showed all three instances on my installation, and then I was careful to modify, and place in corresponding template folders:

i.e.
    includes/templates/template_default/templates/tpl_modules_main_product_image.php

was modified and then saved to:

includes/templates/CUSTOM/templates/tpl_modules_main_product_image.php

I think this stuff is starting to sink in . . . thanks again!