Plugin Contributions

Default Best place for Product Images folder

Where is the best place to put the product images folder, espically when working with Lightbox?
    Forums are for helping people!! if you don't want to help people then shut up and get off the forum!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Best place for Product Images folder

You need to bare in mind that Zen does a quick check to see if the file exists before it uses each product image, and the way PHP works, it doesn't just say "is image 123.jpg there?", instead it says "can i have all the files that exist in this folder please?", and it then checks the name of each one to see if the file it wants to use is in the bag of names. This is a PHP thing rather than a Zen written thing, but the point is......... if you have a folder with 2000 images in it, you're server will be incredibly slow. If you have 200 folders with 10 images in each, it'll be much quicker!

So the point is, we have all images in the IMAGES folder, but then don't be afraid to split files up into categories or groups. For a start, some search engines index the URL, so get a keyword in there, like "images/candles/church_candle.jpg".

Absolute
    Back, after a 4 year absence! Did you miss me?
    Absolute Web Solutions Ltd
    Interested in our work? Take a look at one of our sites - The Tech Store

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
    You need to bare in mind that Zen does a quick check to see if the file exists before it uses each product image, and the way PHP works, it doesn't just say "is image 123.jpg there?", instead it says "can i have all the files that exist in this folder please?", and it then checks the name of each one to see if the file it wants to use is in the bag of names. This is a PHP thing rather than a Zen written thing, but the point is......... if you have a folder with 2000 images in it, you're server will be incredibly slow. If you have 200 folders with 10 images in each, it'll be much quicker!

So the point is, we have all images in the IMAGES folder, but then don't be afraid to split files up into categories or groups. For a start, some search engines index the URL, so get a keyword in there, like "images/candles/church_candle.jpg".

Absolute
    I get you. That helps greatly.

You might be able to also answer, why should I have different size images (eg: image.jpg, image_MED.jpg, image_LGE.jpg)
    Forums are for helping people!! if you don't want to help people then shut up and get off the forum!

Plugin Contributions

There are two ways to deal with image sizes. One is to have images of all different sizes - the other is to install Image Handler. I'd do the second option!

Basically, when your user requests an image, to ensure that the image is the best quality, and the exact size it needs, Zen picks the right sized image for that space. This reduces download times, and bandwidth, but most of all improves image display quality.

Image handler will resize all required images for you, and cache them for next time, so you don't have to manually save 3 versions of each image in different sizes.

Absolute
    Back, after a 4 year absence! Did you miss me?
    Absolute Web Solutions Ltd
    Interested in our work? Take a look at one of our sites - The Tech Store

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
    There are two ways to deal with image sizes. One is to have images of all different sizes - the other is to install Image Handler. I'd do the second option!

Basically, when your user requests an image, to ensure that the image is the best quality, and the exact size it needs, Zen picks the right sized image for that space. This reduces download times, and bandwidth, but most of all improves image display quality.

Image handler will resize all required images for you, and cache them for next time, so you don't have to manually save 3 versions of each image in different sizes.

Absolute
    Cool! Thanks. I just found the Image Handler while I was awaiting your response. I will install that and see how we go! :)

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the information. To continue this discussion, if we do make multiple folders, we need to make a large and a medium also, correct? And can we make folders in folders. For example I wish to sort by manufactorer and then product line so I might have:

/images/moda/blush/200400.jpg
    /images/moda/blush/medium/200400_med.jpg
    /images/moda/blush/large/200400_lgr.jpg

and then
    /images/moda/sanctuary/344322.jpg
    will that work?

In addition, I will have up to 50 thumbnails per page in some areas, so I was thinking of doing the 3 file sizes for speed. You opinion thank you.

Linda

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lruskauff View Post
    Thank you for the information. To continue this discussion, if we do make multiple folders, we need to make a large and a medium also, correct? And can we make folders in folders. For example I wish to sort by manufactorer and then product line so I might have:

and then
    /images/moda/sanctuary/344322.jpg
    will that work?

In addition, I will have up to 50 thumbnails per page in some areas, so I was thinking of doing the 3 file sizes for speed. You opinion thank you.

Linda
    Hi Linda,

I learnt that Image handler 2 will actually do the resizing for you. you can set the sizes of the images through your admin once you install Image handler 2 (IH2). it works well and takes care of all the nity grity work! No sense making you working more and harder than you have too.

Yes this can be done, but on your spread sheet you need to make sure you address it correctly in the v_products_image column
    eg: moda/blush/large/200400_lgr.jpg

hope that helps.

Plugin Contributions

Hello again

I went ahead and had image handler installed like suggested. My question is two part

1. If I use my FTP and add a folder under IMAGES, it will appear in the drop down list, no problem. But if I add a subsub folder, they don't show up. So how do I access them?

2. For image handler 2, is there a point where uploading 3 images will be faster on those with dialups? I guess I've read the documentation but not clear on where those images are being stored "on the fly".
    Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lruskauff View Post
    Hello again

I went ahead and had image handler installed like suggested. My question is two part

1. If I use my FTP and add a folder under IMAGES, it will appear in the drop down list, no problem. But if I add a subsub folder, they don't show up. So how do I access them?

2. For image handler 2, is there a point where uploading 3 images will be faster on those with dialups? I guess I've read the documentation but not clear on where those images are being stored "on the fly".
    Thanks

1. One level of Sub directories ONLY is supported in Zen Cart

2. Not sure I understand the question?

Plugin Contributions

thank you for the answer to question #1.

For #2 I will reword. I am debating using "Imagehanlder 2" vs "uploading 3 files for each image".

It seems to me that your site would still load faster (especially on dialups) if you upload 3 pictures than using Imagehandler which creates three pictures from one. So my question is, has anyone found that level where it is worth uploading the 3 pictures manually..

Thanks
    Linda