Okay so I've had some time to fully test this all out and while this is a nice idea, there are many parts of this add-on that either works inconsistently or incompletely. Let me be clear ALL of the issues I found occur with BOTH v 1.5.3 of Edit Orders and the rest of this add-on or in Edit Orders v 2.03. ALL of these issues are issues with the modifications this add-on makes to Edit Orders. They are NOT native Edit Orders issues.. (as has been implied)
- Though I was able to fix some of the formatting of the e-mail sent to the customer so that it looked more like the default order confirmation e-mail, there were still issues with the customer notification e-mail including:
- The product price formatting shows three decimals instead of two
- The customer name doesn't show in the message salutation.
Shipping rates table:
- Displays the rate and the method, but fails to include the carrier (which I think makes this data a LOT more useful)
- Though I haven't tested it will all shipping methods, I noticed in my testing that the per item shipping module does not display correct rates. (actually it show the rate as ZERO) It works for UPS, and though I haven't tested it I suspect that USPS will work fine as well.. FedEx users will likely find that more code is needed to support FedEx rates (someone who is more knowledgeable can confirm this)
I have decided to keep the rate table for my own usage, but I think that submitting an update with code that does not work as it's intended is bad form. So if I submit this, I will include CLEAR instructions for adding back the rate estimates for those willing to work with the issues, but it will not be included in the core code I submit (IF I submit this)
Shipping Method Display on the admin order list:
- When creating an order the default shipping method is entered as "FREE Shipping". If you update the shipping method, the order details will reflect this change, but the order list will always show Free Shipping.
All this to say that I've gotten this working with the current version of Edit Orders, but I made the following modifications:
- Re-Send Invoice: In looking through the Zen Cart forum I realized that the current order comments system is more than adequate to send a customer notification of a new/updated order. I tried to get Ivan's code to work by using the message stack and ultimately realized it's over my paygrade to correct this so it works correctly.. Given it's flaky behavior, and with a more than adequate solution for sending out customer notifications,I decided to simply deprecate all of the Re-Send Invoice code.
- I've removed all of the hard coded text from the Create Orders and Edit orders files and put them into the language files.
- I updated the payment method message language file and added and additional descriptive definition so that if a payment method other than credit card is entered, you are at least provided on screen instructions for how to make the credit card fields re-appear.
- With regards to the shipping method displayed in the order list, I'm sure there is a better way to fix this, but it's beyond my skillset.. So instead I opted to update the code used when you create an order to use a language file definition for the default shipper. This new definition reads "Manually generated order. See order details for selected shipping details". This way the order list reflects a Shipping method message that while not the exact shipping method entered at least provides something a little more accurate/descriptive.
- I updated the Edit Orders navigation to return you to either the order list or the order detail. (the current "Back" button only returns you to the order list)
- I updated the product add section so that if you decide to exit this area before entering in a product, you can either return to the order edit page or the order details page. (currently the "Back" button only returns you to the order list -- which IMHO is counter intuitive)
- I have removed the shipping estimate table in it's entirety (see explanation above)
- I have removed the "Re-Send Invoice" code in it's entirety (see explanation above)
- The last thing I could not fix, is the issue I reported earlier about how Create Orders handles addresses for customers who created an account in the store (ie: were NOT added manually using the "Add Customer" add-on) This SHOULD be fixed to work correctly with all customer and admin settings for customer states, but for now I can add states manually..
I can now create orders using the latest version of "Edit Orders" (v 2.03) and "Add Customer From Admin" (v 1.07).
Could this all be better?? HECK YES!!! Is this a WORKABLE solution?? Well I think so..
I am happy to share this with anyone interested.. PM me and I'll provide you access to my version of this add-on.. Depending on feedback I may go ahead and submit it to the downloads..