Thread: suPHP Problems

Brampton, Cumbria, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Plugin Contributions

Default suPHP Problems

Has anybody had problems with suPHP affecting zencart scripts? The reason for the question is that my IP insists that because they use suPHP scripts zencart's files and folders must be changed to 755/644. However this is bringing up the red line notification error you get at the initial installation. This as you know is removed by changing confige.php to 644.

Bit of back ground: my IP using somebody that allows zencart to be fully set-up without the problems of the red line notification on the home page. Now my IP changes all files and folders and then the only way to get right of the red line notification is to re-instal zencart in full as changing the config files to 644 does not do anything.

I hope you understand the problem.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: suPHP Problems

How are you trying to CHMOD on those files? A lot of times, you can't change the permissions of files using FTP.......you have to use the cPanel to change permissions, or they will just revert back to what they were.
    Teach them to shop and they will shop today;
    Teach them to Zen and they will OWN a shop tomorrow!

Plugin Contributions

Since the software can actually still reite to the file at 644 you need to change /incudes/configure.php to 444 ( using your control panels file manager )
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Brampton, Cumbria, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Plugin Contributions

I understand what I need to do with my zencart however the problem is suPHP and the IP I am using. They say they need to change files/folders so that suPHP will work properly. These changes are affecting zencart and it is displaying the red bar warning.

Two questions really should suPHP affect zencart and if the warning is displayed and with the config file properties set at 644 is there a security problem?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You can set the file to 444 if 644 isn't low enough.

Or, you can talk to your Hosting Company (I'm not sure why you're calling them your "IP"?) about what *they* recommend you do for setting read-only on files in their suPHP configuration. They will know best how to do it on *their* servers.

It's all discussed here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=9 and also in other related FAQ articles.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

quick answer

No suphp will not affact zen cart ( provided the host has it all setup correct )

and the issue you are having with the red bar across the top is what I explained earlier you need to set the file permissions on the includes/configure.php to 444

and make sure that all folders are set to 755

thats it,
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Figured I'd just post to an existing thread. I don't have suPHP problems yet because I'm just getting ready to enable this. Thought I'd ask here for any particular issues I might experience. As this is for a VPS (a dozen or so domains) I want to try to minimise downtime.

Currently on all sites, folders are 755, files 664, configure files are 644. The exception is an image cache directory for an addon that insists to be 777. I assume this will run ok as 755 once suPHP is enabled.

I am thinking the first task will be changing ownership, which i'll do through using chown -R for /home/domainname/public_html/. Should I go deeper and chown from /home/domainname/ for every domain on the VPS?

Before taking the plunge, any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

From what I can tell the thing I may need to do is change all file permissions to a max of 644.