Plugin Contributions

Default First time upgrader general question about handling add ons

Hi all
    I am currently using 1.3.7 and, following a hack into the site, am trying to follow best advice and upgrade to the latest version.

The site uses various addons to support Sage Pay, CSS Flyout menus, blank sideboxes, UK Counties for shipping rates and the split login page.

In one circumstance, the split login page, I find that this is now supported, so that mod is no longer required. However, in the case of, for instance, the CSS Flyout menus, that is still marked as available for version 1.3.8a. I also wish to implement the Zen Lightbox add on which also is advertised as only for version 1.3.8a.

I fully understand that one cannot expect all the writers of these fantastic addons to necessarily be available to upgrade and test their code for every upgrade, but when you are using something on an existing shop that may possibly break when you upgrade, what approach is the best? To only upgrade to the version of Zencart that will continue to support your addons? To can the addons altogether? Or is it the case that generally they will work but will only be supported for the named version?

Just a bit confused on the best way to approach this and looking for other peoples views and experiences.

Thanks in advance
    RoPey

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: First time upgrader general question about handling add ons

There's a great big thread here that discusses mod upgrades. You could search it for the mods you're using.

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152679

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: First time upgrader general question about handling add ons

Thanks so much stevesh - just what I was looking for but didn't find! I'll have a good look through that.