Plugin Contributions

bug PHP 5.4.4 dropping product descriptions

I'm running version ZC ver 1.3.8a patched to 1.3.9f. Original official download and upgrade. The site has been running perfectly for the last year until my ISP upgraded their servers from PHP 5.3.3 to 5.4.4.

Everything seemed fine until I needed to edit the product description of an existing product. After saving the change, I found that the product description was now blank. I ran a few tests and it seems to accept short simple text entries, but as soon as I enter long descriptions, the field goes blank. Rolling the server back to PHP 5.3.3 immediately resolves the problem. My ISP tells me that PHP 5.4.4 no longer supports "register_globals" and they suspect this may be the problem. Does anyone know if there is a quick fix for ZC 1.3.9 to allow for PHP 5.4.4 or should I just bite the bullet and upgrade my site to the latest ZC version?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PHP 5.4.4 dropping product descriptions

Zen Cart has never used "register_globals", so it can't be that.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by LittelBird View Post
    I'm running version ZC ver 1.3.8a patched to 1.3.9f. Original official download and upgrade. The site has been running perfectly for the last year until my ISP upgraded their servers from PHP 5.3.3 to 5.4.4.
    Thanks for your message! These silently dropping descriptions were driving me crazy (collation? SQL? no log, no error....)

I just moved my ZC 1.3.9h from Debian 6 (Mysql 5.1.x, PHP 5.3.x) to Debian 7 (Mysql 5.5.x, PHP 5.4.x) and had exactly the same problem. Another collateral damage was that the HTML Editor settings would be discarded and only HTML Area was loading. There might be a few more but everything else seemed to work as before.

I do not have time to upgrade to ZC 1.5.x, as it is a scary adventure given the number of patches I added to the my 1.3.9h over the years.

This URL gave the full steps for Debian 7: http://blog.wpkg.org/2013/06/20/down...an-wheezy-7-0/

Julien

Plugin Contributions

As of PHP 5.4 they changed default encoding from "ISO-8859-1" to "UTF-8". So you get null from htmlspecialchars.
    edit /admin/includes/modules/product/preview_info.php
    add to end of line 191:
    htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($products_description[$languages[$i]['id']]), ENT_COMPAT,'ISO-8859-1', true));

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by danilzan View Post
    As of PHP 5.4 they changed default encoding from "ISO-8859-1" to "UTF-8". So you get null from htmlspecialchars.
    edit /admin/includes/modules/product/preview_info.php
    add to end of line 191:
    htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($products_description[$languages[$i]['id']]), ENT_COMPAT,'ISO-8859-1', true));
    Exactly! Your store's database is set to use one of the latin1 character sets, but PHP 5.4 and later apply UTF-8 encoding as the new default for both the htmlspecialchars and htmlentities calls. There are many, many more file changes in addition to the one that danilzan referenced that were changed in the move from v1.5.0 to v1.5.1 to support those changes.

Plugin Contributions

I have the same problem with an old 1.3.0 version ... blank descriptionThere is a solution ?
    Sorry for my English !

Plugin Contributions

I have 1.38a sites which since the weekend are now running on PHP5.4.3 and no errors logged, all sites working fine, apart from the missing fields on any pages that have special characters. All fixed now because of this, thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dgent View Post
    I have 1.38a sites which since the weekend are now running on PHP5.4.3 and no errors logged, all sites working fine, apart from the missing fields on any pages that have special characters. All fixed now because of this, thanks.
    You REALLY need to upgrade ASAP. There are other issues you'll start having problems with if you don't.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.