Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default 1.3.8a to 1.3.9h / server to server

anyone tell me where the categories and product info is kept. i installed a new zen cart 1.3.9h and i would very much like to import or move the files that would contain my categories and products so i dont have to re-list, re-type, re-organize, re-go crazy entering hundreds of items all over again.
    my up and running site is
    http://www.airtightvideo.com/shopping_cart
    the site i am working on is on the server and not really viewable on the web yet. it has everything done but none of my categories or products are there yet. it took me about 100 hours to list them all the first time. help me please.

thanks so much

By the way the site i am trying to find my categories and products (and attributes, names values etc.) is a version 1.3.8a

thanks again for any help
    Last edited by slater555; 24 Feb 2011 at 05:07 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: categories/products

The categories are in two tables:
    categories and categories_description

Products are in:
    products and products_description

Product options, attributes and probably other details I'm missing are stored in still other tables. Depending on what you have set-up, you may need to copy those tables over as well to get it all working properly.

Plugin Contributions

excuse my ignorance but what directory, or folders are <categories> and <category_descriptions> in (i.e. admin/includes/... or admin/includes/modules/... etc)
    I have been going through folders on my ftp program for hours looking.

again thanks

oh yea, if you could tell me where </products> and /product_description> are too. I will look in the development kit while i await and answer.

thanks again for your help

Plugin Contributions

The data is not stored in folders. It is all in the database on your server. Copying data from one database to another is not as simple and copying files and directories. Your hosting company *might* help. If not, you might want to find someone to help. It's easy to mess up and a broken database means a broken website.

Plugin Contributions

thanks i will look into that, is that the mysql database???

Plugin Contributions

Yep, that's the one. :-)

Plugin Contributions

this could be a tough one, can i copy all the files from my new 1.3.9h over the 1.3.8a and just overwrite all that in an attempt to use the same database, or is that a pipe dream? or can i just use the same sql database, i mean the 2 zen carts are on the same website domain. and actually have the same name shopping_cart, just one is on the web, the other is in kind of on a holding pattern on a different server until i change the dns server info with my domain provider and

Plugin Contributions

You'll need to follow the upgrade instructions to go from 1.3.8 3 to 1.3.9. The upgrade wil also upgrade, and thus preserve, all the data in your current database.

Plugin Contributions

the upgrade instructions at
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=108
    very near the beginning of step 1, say to:

"Make a full backup of your database (dump to SQL file). Store this file on your PC for later reference.

Make a full backup of your site files (ftp to your PC and zip it up for safe-keeping).
    Keep the backup on your PC to use in next steps. Perhaps call this folder "\zen_backup".

1) I can't figure out if I am supposed to backup the database from the new version 1.3.9h that i installed or from the live version 1.3.8a that i want to upgrade

2) do i backup site files (ftp to pc) referred to as "\zen_backup" is that the site files from the new 1.3.9h or from the old 1.3.8a?

then right after that it says:

"Now let's find out the differences/customizations details between your site and the original Zen Cart™ files. (You can find older versions here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/zencart/files/ )"

1) is that the difference between my site 'the 1.3.9h' or my site' the live 1.3.8a' and the original unzipped 1.3.8a

so i guess what i need to know is when the instructions refer to "\zen_backup" are they referring to a back up of the live site or the newly installed 1.3.9h???

I'm so confused

thanks so much for the help

Plugin Contributions

Default 1.3.8a to 1.3.9h / server to server

can i import from a db on a windows server to a db on a linux server both versions of zen cart are on the same website domain name. right now the zen cart (1.3.8a) is on a windows server the url of the live site is:
    http://www.airtightvideo.com/shopping_cart

now i am in the process of moving the website to a linux server, so while the site is still hosted on the windows server, (i haven't changed the dns.hosting_server yet so i have a temp url on linux server, so the 1.3.9h version is at:
    50.22.89.220/~slater/airtightvideo.com/shopping_cart

I was planning on just not uploading the current /shopping_cart to the new server so as not to have a conflict with 2 shopping carts with the same name.

so when i am ready to, can i import the data from the db on the windows serever to the new db on the linux server, all else is done and short of setting up some banners and stuff the site is the same except there is no data (categories and products) on the 1.3.9h yet as they are all still in the db on the window server.

well hope i didn't confuse you to much, i know i am.

thanks for any help.

and the new zen cart is on the same website

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast