Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Why does my site flinch ?

As the title says, it flinches whenever someone presses on the categories....i.e games,movies or consoles.

How can I fix this:

I have all ready made all the photos really small under (200 pixel by 200 pixel MAX!)

site :

www. jzk r e t a i l.com

(remove the space.)

thanks, regards John.
    please visit us at www.jzkretail.com

You can have anything, but it all starts in the mind.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why does my site flinch ?

Quote Originally Posted by jzk721 View Post

I have all ready made all the photos really small under (200 pixel by 200 pixel MAX!)
    You may have made the dimensions that size, but your image file sizes are, in most cases, way too big, and in many cases, enormous. Try the Image Handler 2 mod.

Plugin Contributions

Hej what is that??

where can I download it?

thanks

Plugin Contributions

Free Software Add Ons, above.

Plugin Contributions

hello

I did a search, and this is all the results:

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...eyword=Handler

should I use the one for dummies?

p.s

what version of zen cart do I have?? how do I check?

Plugin Contributions

I have narrowed the problem to here:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154427

but I still cant fix the problem even when I replace the php file to its original content!!

WTF

somebody please help, my site been down for 4 days

Plugin Contributions

You have fallen into a common trap which a lot of "newbies" fall into... trying to build a space rocket before you are competent at building a bicycle.

Firstly... you are using a commercial template - probably Template Monster... These templates are known to be very problematic, because they are very customized and often break core code in order to get a certain "appearance". When people add modules to these templates, the modules often do not work because their schema is consistent with STANDARD zencart - not heavily modified zencart. - So the site becomes even more "broken". Helpers on the forum know a lot about standard ZC code - but hate trying to work out problems on TM templates. We just don't have hundreds of spare hours trying to unpick these templates to see where the problems potentially may lie.

Secondly... you are rushing into installing modules and add-ons and a whole hob of stuff that is perhaps "pretty", but does not do a lot for SALES.

When you start with zencart (or any eCommerce package), surely the objective is to get a functional site together that can start SELLING as quickly as possible?

It seems you are far more interested in web design and add-on "trinkets" than you are about selling products.

You should (when starting out), develop a very simple template, and keep the add-ons to a minimum. Focus on getting the site functional, and capable of taking orders.

When you have money rolling in, you can invest in site development (on a test installation) so your live site is not adversely affected by changes you wish to make.

Right now, your site is badly broken; it is not earning any money; you have no means of fixing it; forum helpers are probably unable to advise you...

Start again with a FRESH install, and create a more simple template.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the comment.

I agree with most of it, although the wibiya that I had installed had chat function and translator into 8 languages and it had games.

All these things will help my customer, whether they wish to translate or they are just returning to my site for a quick game.

I want returning customer and having a bland website will net get people to stick and return!

But thanks for the response so do you think I should start from scratch with the same template, coz I dont want to invest in a new template just yet. And yes the template was from template monster :)

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the comment.
    Pleasure... much of my advice was gained from personal experience.

I want returning customer and having a bland website will net get people to stick and return!
    Not necessarily... One of my very first ZC sites (built about 6 years ago for a client) uses the BASIC, CLASSIC template... I was a real "novice" back then, and just knew how to change the header logo and a couple of other things. This site is still using the CLASSIC template (though we did it properly with an over-ride template when we upgraded from 1.2.x to 1.3...)

This website now has a turnover of more than £350,000 annually. It has NO special features, NO fancy avatars, NO flash, NO flowery bits and pieces. It is a PLAIN VANILLA webshop.

The owner absolutely does NOT want to modify it - and why should she? It contributes about 65% of her profits.

But thanks for the response so do you think I should start from scratch with the same template, coz I dont want to invest in a new template just yet. And yes the template was from template monster :)

Thanks
    With Template Monster, you either have to have expert knowledge of ZC and its core schema... or you will need to hire someone who does.

Newbies should avoid these templates. You will spend your life trying to fix problems instead of focusing on your business. There are many free ones you can use which are reliable.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thank you School boy! its about time you become a school teacher dont you think ?

on a more serious note; 6 years ago it would be okay to have a basic website, but not so much now! I gather she has built
    • customer base and goodwill and returning client base!
    I will give you two examples of website, they basically do the same. *both are auction websites* now tell me as a new customer which one you would rather sign up to!.....

http://www.epier.com/

http://www.ubid.com/

Any ways thanks for all the advice, when I buy my next template I will make sure to buy it from another place :)

btw do you offer editing and template installation( I take it from all you have said your an expert and would be able to help me get started on the right foot)?

Regards John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast