Zone restrictions problem with PayPal Express Checkout v1.3.9d
I'm receiving reports of similar (same) problem using Zen Cart 1.3.9d, although I've been unable to reproduce the error myself. I started receiving reports of this behavior following the upgrade to 1.3.9d (about a month ago).
What I have been able to document is the following (related?) unexpected behavior: when a user decides to back out at the PayPal screen (returning to the store) and then decides to checkout with PayPal anyway, she is presented with the following error message: "We are sorry for the inconvenience; however, at the present time we are unable to use PayPal to process orders from the geographic region you selected as your PayPal address. Please continue using normal checkout and select from the available payment methods to complete your order."
Steps to reproduce this behavior
- PayPal Express Checkout is only payment method configured in Zen Cart
- Payments are limited to a custom zone (created using the Zen Cart zone admin tool)
- Require confirmed address (no)
- Select Cheapest Shipping Automatically (yes)
- Skip Payment Page (yes)
- Automatic Account Creation (yes)
- Payment Action (Auth Only)
- IPN is ON in PayPal account (required, but thought I'd be explicit about it since it seems to have been an issue for others in the past)
- User has at least one item in cart
- Click to view shopping cart
- Click to check out with PayPal Express Checkout (ipn_main_handler.php?type=ec)
- (on paypal page) Click [name of company] to return to store (using back button may also trigger this issue)
- Click to view shopping cart (again)
- Click to check out with PayPal Express Checkout (ipn_main_handler.php?type=ec) (again)
Expected outcome: user is on paypal.com presented with payment options.
Actual outcome: user sees error message described above.
Workarounds: I've been unable to find any workarounds for this except having the user click on the shopping cart a third time and trying yet again (which does seem to work). It's possible that this error appears every-other time the user tries.
I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling (disabling / enabling) the PayPal Express Checkout module a few times with no luck.
And FWIW, I've enabled logging but don't fully understand what I'm seeing in the logs (don't fully understand the PPEC process in general) so I'm happy to provide any information found in the logs if that's helpful.
I've been doing web application development for some years and would be more than happy to supply any information you need to to get this resolved. This is happening on a customized (and upgraded from 1.3.8) version of Zen Cart located in Spain with all transactions limited to Spain and payment in Euros. One or two add-ons were installed but were either removed or simply aren't being used and in all cases were only in the Admin piece.
If you have a moment and would like to try this out for yourself, the store is located at http://carolanfiestas.com
Thanks in advance to all who lend a hand getting this resolved (and helping me confirm that the existing installation does indeed work) and in particular to Jill of 2dogsdesign.com for helping me gain access to the forums!
Re: Zone restrictions problem with PayPal Express Checkout v1.3.9d
Thanks for the detailed report.
1. I can't replicate the problem on any 1.3.9d sites I have.
2. I can't replicate the problem on *your* site, because it appears you've turned off PayPal Express Checkout ... or you've supplied an invalid URL.
4. Without a copy of the logs, and without being able to recreate the problem on demand, there's not much that can be done to "fix" the symptoms you describe.
Without more very specific details, there's nothing to "fix".
Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
Donations always welcome: www.zen-cart.com/donate
Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.
By stagebrace in forum Bug Reports
Last Post: 30 May 2010, 03:34 AM
By Nilo in forum Built-in Shipping and Payment Modules
Last Post: 14 Jan 2009, 09:16 PM
By JOKESBYPOST in forum General Questions
Last Post: 7 Jul 2007, 08:02 PM
By humbll in forum PayPal Express Checkout support
Last Post: 16 May 2007, 02:45 PM
By binny25 in forum PayPal Express Checkout support
Last Post: 20 Feb 2007, 07:40 AM
Content and Graphics Copyright (c) 2003 - 2013 Zen Ventures, LLC - all rights reserved
Zen Cart® is a Registered Trademark of Zen Ventures, LLC