Plugin Contributions

Default New Google Analytics?

I've just been looking at adding Google Analytics to my store. I see I have to add some code to my site to do this. I looked through the add-ons and I found a tool to add Google analytics, but it was several years old as far as I can see. Furthermore it said it added the "ga.js” tracking code.

Looking at the Google analytics page it says in a blue box at the top "if you're already tracking your website using either the urchin.js all the traditional ga.js snippet, first remove the snippet. Then it gives you some code to insert "just before the closing </head> tag". Well, I'm afraid I'm dumb enough not to be able to work out where that tag is generated. Somebody help me please?

Cheers,

Dave

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New Google Analytics

You can add google analytics tracking code to the end of includes/templates/your_custom_template/tpl_footer.php

Or there's also Simple Google Analytics which allows the choice of either ga.js or urchin.js

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=412

but ga.js is the current google tracking code so I believe whatever mod you were looking at would have worked fine.
    Last edited by Kenichi; 6 Jul 2010 at 07:25 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New Google Analytics?

Thank you for your advice, but you have put your finger exactly on my problem. Simple Analytics uses the ga.js method which Google Analytics is telling you not to use now.

Also, I'm sorry, but I fail to see how putting anything in a script named "footer" can result in it ending up before the </head> tag in the final page script. Then again I'm probably thick as two short planks on this, so I'll will be need to be advised how to do it.

Cheers,

Dave

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

You can still use the old ga.js code for tracking if you want to use one of the add-ons. Google's new tracking code allows your pages to load faster though.

You could try posting a help request in the GA add-on's support thread asking for the author to update it to use the new code.

If you want to use the new code without using one of the Zen Cart add-ons then just create a file called jscript_ga.php , paste the tracking code into it then upload it to your[FONT=Verdana] /[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]includes/templates/{template_directory}/jscript directory (replacing {template_directory} with the name of your template).

Regards,
    Christian.
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Many thanks, Chrisian.

I did what you suggested and all seems be working now.

Thanks again,

Dave