Plugin Contributions

Default installing upgrades to fresh fantastico install (1.3.9b)

Hi guys, I was just reading about installing zencart manually but believe this to be just a little beyond my capability and as it is, my domain hosting company is getting a little tired of my constant questions,so i was just wondering if i had a fresh install using fantastico and then tried to install the latest vesion of zencart would that be ok
    Warm regards
    Symon

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: installing upgrades to fresh fantastico install (1.3.9b)

If i was to do it like this would it avoid all of the manual changes to the directory like changing the php stuff
    Symon

Plugin Contributions

First, there isn't anything really difficult about installing Zencart manually. Once you've done it, you'll wonder why you hesitated.

That said, if the Fantastico version you have available is 1.3.9b, I'd go ahead and install that, then manually, using your FTP program, copy all the files from the latest version (1.3.9d) over that, overwriting all.

That's not the advice I'd give for an existing store, but for a new installation, it can't hurt.

On the other hand, if you're willing to try a manual installation of 1.3.9d over 1.3.9b, why not just install the latest version manually to begin with?

Plugin Contributions

Hi stevesh I am not sure about changing these two lines (I can't make sense of them)Its the bit about the rename what would the whole file name read after change do you just drop the dist- part ?

On the server locate the file: /catalog/includes/dist-configure.php
    Rename this file to configure.php and change the permissions to 777 (read-write-execute for all)

Next, on the server locate the file: /catalog/admin/includes/dist-configure.php
    Rename this file to configure.php and change the permissions to 777 (read-write-execute for all)

and also am not quite sure about setting up the mysql and php data accounts this seems a little bit of a mystery to me
    Warm regards
    Symon

Plugin Contributions

As it says, just remove the dist- part of those files' names so they are named configure.php.

There's no PHP to set up in your hosting account. You'll need to create a database, usually in the MySQL Databases section of your Control Panel.

Don't let this stuff intimidate you. It's pretty easy - you just have to do it a few times.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again Stevesh for your help, in the cpanel on the domain i am with there is a MySQL wizard so should i just make a new _zc1 database using that?
    warm regards
    Symon

Plugin Contributions

Ok new problem now I was able to install the new version but cant seem to load it into the root of the website when i go to the domain it comes up with an error so at a little bit of a loss what to do now
    Warm regards
    Symon

Plugin Contributions

Ok my mistake. I was trying to do an install using a zip file and unzipping it straight to the domain using c panel. Then read an article saying that installs it in a directory so used ftp program and uploaded it directly and now i have successfully installed 1.3.9d on our site
    Warm Regards,
    Symon