Plugin Contributions

Default Server php and sql upgrade help

Hello. I am currently using version 1.3.8 . Server using php version 4.4.9 SQL version 4.1.2
    My server (linux) at my request is going to update to php 5 along with the updated sql.
    Since their upgrade will require the complete deletion of my site and db, I figured this would be a perfect time to upgrade to 1.3.9.
    I have used xampp with php5 and sql 5 to create my personal server to test.
    I do a new install on my server using the new 1.3.9d
    Everything installs correctly. Test site works on my personal server fine.
    My problem is How do I upgrade a 4.1.2 sql database to a 5. version database.
    I am just now starting to get a grasp on how a sql database works. Not enough know how just yet to get this one figured out. I do not know if I am making this harder than it needs to be.
    I could really use some help understanding exactly how I do the sql part of this. I have no problem with the zen store files themselves.

TIA for any help
    Arlette
    http://www.asembroidery.com (current site still operational)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Server php and sql upgrade help

Quote Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
    Hello. I am currently using version 1.3.8 . Server using php version 4.4.9 SQL version 4.1.2
    My server (linux) at my request is going to update to php 5 along with the updated sql.
    Since their upgrade will require the complete deletion of my site and db, I figured this would be a perfect time to upgrade to 1.3.9.
    Yes, it would be a perfect time to upgrade..... but I'm not really sure why you would want or need to deleted your entire site and DB in order to do so.

I have used xampp with php5 and sql 5 to create my personal server to test.
    I do a new install on my server using the new 1.3.9d
    Everything installs correctly. Test site works on my personal server fine.
    My problem is How do I upgrade a 4.1.2 sql database to a 5. version database.
    You don't need to. Although the SQL *server* will be getting an update, the existing database(s) will/should work just fine. (At least for our purposes).

I am just now starting to get a grasp on how a sql database works. Not enough know how just yet to get this one figured out. I do not know if I am making this harder than it needs to be.
    Something that most of us seem to do at times. (That why so many people still haven't upgraded their zencarts).

I could really use some help understanding exactly how I do the sql part of this. I have no problem with the zen store files themselves.
    I'm pretty sure that this is a non issue.

I suspect that in the *worst possible case* all you would need to do would be to export the data from your V4 databases and re-import them into the V5 databases - but seriously, I don't think you even need to do this much. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though. People are good that way) <grin>

Cheers, and good luck with the upgrade - it's a pretty daunting task when you need to upgrade almost everything at the same time. (Certainly a tremendous satisfaction when done though).

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply.
    My hosting provider is the one who said they will need to delete everything including db. In order for me to get php5 this is what will be required. ughh I will get this done.
    Thanks again
    Arlette

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Just backup your database and then restore it later after they're done the upgrade.
    In fact, most hosts worth their salt do that automatically for all their customers.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.