Plugin Contributions

Default Test folder on Server

This is my first post and first attempt at Zen Cart. I presently use Coffee Cups Shopping Cart Creator Pro. I know
    It basically works very well and simple to create but the shipping is a nightmare and the reason for my change to ZC.

My question is this;
    I use 1and1 for my host server. My current store is directly under the root directory: /

I want to be able to design a new store that will not be able to be accessed by search engines while I work on it. I fear that if I simply create a new folder (/demo,/test, etc.) under the root directory, google will find it and start showing it to people in their searches for my products. This happened when I was trying to make my blog with Worpress.

The people at 1and1 had me set up a test folder to put my new store in under a special subdomain that is automatically created by 1and1 from day one of signing up. The address of this subdomain is NOT my website address. It is preceded by a bunch of numbers:
    ##########.onlinehome.US/test

Weird, I know. Will this work for a demo/test store while I create it with ZC? Or am I asking for a world of trouble converting it to take place of my original store under the root directory??

I hope this makes since, I know I'm confussed

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Test folder on Server

That may work. Other approaches would be to set your Zen Cart after installation to "down for maintenance", with your IP the only one allowed to access it; or you could put an .htaccess file in the ZC root that would keep other IPs from accessing it, and I am sure there are other methods.

Plugin Contributions

Just an observation... 1&1 are awful hosts for eCommerce... A bit like GoDaddy and Fasthosts.

Is your site intended to be a serious business, or just a hobby?

If you tend towards the former, then you should consider using a decent host.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks gjh42, I will check into that.

As for 1and1 not being good, I beg to differ with you. It came highly recommended by several people with eCommerce and I have had my website with them for the 2nd year now and I have had no problems whatsoever. In fact, so far setting up my Zen Cart with them has been flawless. Their customer support is excellent. I always get an answer and never have to wait more than 5-10 minutes on hold. Like most (if not all!) companies they have a few tech people with foreign accents, but you can understand them. What is your beef with them ?