Plugin Contributions

Default Product Access for Admin Profiles?

Is there any way to grant access for certain admin profiles to only be able to modify certain products. I have 5 products on my site for a client of mine and i'd like for them to be able to login and update the product information themselves. Is there an addon/module that allows this ?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product Access for Admin Profiles?

Plugin Contributions

Not certain products, I don't think, no. The Admin Profiles mod works great, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't go down to the product (or even category) level.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Not certain products, I don't think, no. The Admin Profiles mod works great, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't go down to the product (or even category) level.
    That's correct. I probably misread the question as I took it that access was needed to products but nothing else.

Your interpretation is probably correct.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    I was wondering if there were any plans to implement this option in the future?

I think that limiting an admin profile to a category (or even a product type) would be great. It would open up many possibilities.
    Dennis
    www.stampdays.com
    Over 80,000 stamps and still growing!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

v1.5.0 added built-in profile support, along with a number of improvements beyond what the "Admin Profiles addon" offered.

Refining it to granularly control every word/button/section of every admin page is a large job. Chances are that any more-granular control added will be fairly broad or generic in order to suit the largest possible audience without impeding usefulness or comprehension of options.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    v1.5.0 added built-in profile support, along with a number of improvements beyond what the "Admin Profiles addon" offered.

Refining it to granularly control every word/button/section of every admin page is a large job. Chances are that any more-granular control added will be fairly broad or generic in order to suit the largest possible audience without impeding usefulness or comprehension of options.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain it. I could not imagine the work that would be needed to make foolproof.

I will try to give a short explaination of what I think would be a little simplier way to acheive this idea. I just hope that I can do so without making a fool of myself.

I would replace the Category/Product checkbox (when adding a new profile) to a dropdown. If a category was selected there, a session variable would be set. That variable would set the Category/Product button in that session so that when clicked, it would be the top level category and that user would be directed to that category.

A potential issue could be if the admin user tried to copy or move a product to another category.

This could be easily fixed by adding a second admin (solely for the secondary admin users) and then replacing the Move and Copy gifs with a transpixel gif so those options are not available on their product view.
    Dennis
    www.stampdays.com
    Over 80,000 stamps and still growing!