Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Can't Set Meta Tags for my home page since hiring a developer

I hired a developer a few months ago and he made a bunch of changes to my store.

Now I cannot set meta tags for my home page. I'm trying to change them through the admin but it doesn't update on the actual website.

My guess is I have to do it through cpanel/fto manually. Any idea where I go to do this?

My site: http://www.giftbasketsplus.com/

Thanks in advance

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't Set Meta Tags for my home page since hiring a developer

Anyone?

Plugin Contributions

Try a search in the tutorials/FAQ for meta.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Try a search in the tutorials/FAQ for meta.
    I did - Here's the thing, when I go to: includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php

And modify the tags, they don't actually change what's on the home-page. In fact, what I currently have set and what shows up on the home-page are *different*

Not sure where I go to change them, any help would be much appreciated - I've tried everything I know

Plugin Contributions

Just to clarify what I said above. All I need to do is change the meta description tag on the home-page. It seems to be set automatically. I've tried the admin, both logical places in the cpanel, and searched for that text elsewhere with no luck.

If anyone could help me with this tiny tweak, it would be much appreciated. Just reply below or PM me.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by firelogic View Post
    Just to clarify what I said above. All I need to do is change the meta description tag on the home-page. It seems to be set automatically. I've tried the admin, both logical places in the cpanel, and searched for that text elsewhere with no luck.

If anyone could help me with this tiny tweak, it would be much appreciated. Just reply below or PM me.
    includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php

Make your changes and then be sure to save the edited file to:

includes/languages/english/classic/meta_tags.php

classic is the template you're using so you need to have any files you change/edit located in that folder.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by clydejones View Post
    includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php

Make your changes and then be sure to save the edited file to:

includes/languages/english/classic/meta_tags.php

classic is the template you're using so you need to have any files you change/edit located in that folder.
    Just did that with no results. I'll copy & paste what the file looks like below. I'd really appreciate it if you or someone else could help me out. Been frustrated with this for days

define('TITLE', 'Gift Baskets Online -');

// Site Tagline
    define('SITE_TAGLINE', 'Unique Holiday & Specialty Food Gift Baskets');

// Custom Keywords
    define('CUSTOM_KEYWORDS', '');

// Home Page Only:
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_TITLE', 'Gift Baskets Online - Unique Holiday & Specialty Food Gift Baskets');
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION', 'Unique Gift Baskets for the Special People In Your Life. We’ve got the Best Prices Guaranteed!');
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_KEYWORDS', 'unique gift baskets, food gift baskets, holiday gift baskets, specialty gift baskets');

// EZ-Pages meta-tags. Follow this pattern for all ez-pages for which you desire custom metatags. Replace the # with ezpage id.
    // If you wish to use defaults for any of the 3 items for a given page, simply do not define it.
    // (ie: the Title tag is best not set, so that site-wide defaults can be used.)
    // repeat pattern as necessary
    define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_EZPAGE_16','Unique Gift Baskets for the Special People In Your Life. We’ve got the Best Prices Guaranteed!');
    define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS_EZPAGE_16','unique gift baskets, food gift baskets, holiday gift baskets, specialty gift baskets');
    define('META_TAG_TITLE_EZPAGE_16', 'Gift Baskets Online - Unique Holiday & Specialty Food Gift Baskets');

// Per-Page meta-tags. Follow this pattern for individual pages you wish to override. This is useful mainly for additional pages.
    // replace "page_name" with the UPPERCASE name of your main_page= value, such as ABOUT_US or SHIPPINGINFO etc.
    // repeat pattern as necessary
    define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_HOME','Unique Gift Baskets for the Special People In Your Life. We’ve got the Best Prices Guaranteed!');
    define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS_PAGE_HOME','unique gift baskets, food gift baskets, holiday gift baskets, specialty gift baskets');
    define('META_TAG_TITLE_PAGE_HOME', 'Gift Baskets Online - Unique Holiday & Specialty Food Gift Baskets');

Plugin Contributions

Again, firelogic-

did you use the admin > developers toolkit and search for the specific title that already exists?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Again, firelogic-

did you use the admin > developers toolkit and search for the specific title that already exists?
    Yes, I did. The meta description tag doesn't show up, zero results returned. My guess is it's being automatically generated from somewhere. I have no clue how to change it.

All I want to do is change the meta description tag for the home page. Any idea what's going on?

Plugin Contributions

You say that doing a search for that specific description tag text yields no results. Have you downloaded the current meta_tags.php file (and any other files that he edited) from the server and then do the search? If your developer edited a file and uploaded it to your store, you will need to download all the (edited) files before you do your local search.

Vito

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast