Default Canadian Taxes with a twist

We live in Nova Scotia Canada, where the HST just went to 15%. I have all the taxes setup for the other HST zones and the GST zones and it works properly. Following the nice walkthrough I found here on the forums worked like a charm. However, my wife recently found out that there are several items that are exempt from provincial sales tax and only have the GST added onto them. They're called Point Of Sale rebates...This link will show which items are exempt. My question is, what would I need to change to get those few items to ring up right while checking out?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Canadian Taxes with a twist

Create a different Tax Class for those (maybe call it GST Only), and tie it to an applicable tax rate. Then set just those products to use that tax class.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Thank you Dr Byte for your previous answer, I just wanted to be sure where to start with the taxing...I followed your walkthrough for setting them up initially and it worked without a problem :)

I think I have it worked out. I made 3 new tax classes, Books, Childrens Items, and Feminine Hygiene Products. I then made 3 zones for each

1. HST Zone for the ones that will charge full HST
    2. GST only zone which is the standard 8 provinces that don't charge HST
    3. GST zone composed of the HST zones that give the POS Rebate

Then I assigned the proper tax rate to each zone. Everything seems to be working fine except for how it's displayed....

Say someone in NS orders one of our diapers (POS Rebate available) and a crib pad (POS Rebate not available) on the tax line during checkout it shows the GST + the HST on one line....is there an easy way to split that into 2 lines to show them seperate? Below is a pic of the line in question.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

In v1.3.9 there's an option to split taxes onto multiple lines:
    Admin->Configuration->My Store->Show Split Tax Lines
    Show Split Tax Lines
    If multiple tax rates apply, show each rate as a separate line at checkout
    -true
    -false

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Awesome, thank you so much!!

I've tested it with different products that will be taxed differently, and it seems to be working just fine with all the different provinces.