Plugin Contributions

Default Adding field to customers table

I'd like to add a simple timestamp column to the end of the customers table. I know *how* to do it, but just thought I'd check and see if anyone know a reason *not* to do it. I don't want to break anything that would depend on there being a certain number of columns or something silly like that.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding field to customers table

Why?

What's this "timestamp" for?

There's already a last_modified column which is a timestamp indicating the last change.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The field would be for when the record was created (aka when the account was created). In one case, I wanted to use an external newsletter mailing and wanted to pull customers who created accounts and opted-in since the previous mailing. In another case, I just wondered how many accounts were created this month or that month.

So would that break anything?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

It's a waste of your time. Why make the database schema more complicated and more to maintain needlessly?

There's already a date-created and last-modified date stored for each customer record: just do a join on customers and customers_info and you'll have all that information.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    It's a waste of your time. Why make the database schema more complicated and more to maintain needlessly?

There's already a date-created and last-modified date stored for each customer record: just do a join on customers and customers_info and you'll have all that information.
    "That data is already being captured in customers_info" is what I needed to hear. thanx.