Plugin Contributions

help question Additional cable lengths per metre?

Hi All.

I am setting up v1.3.9h

I need to set up some products that have a standard cable length of 5m. then I want to price per metre on top. Some of the products can be up to 100 metres. The only way I can see I could do it is to add 100 entries in the attributes. Can anyone guide me to an easier more simple way?
    Regards

Dave.

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Additional cable lengths per metre?

You would price per metre and have customers choose a quantity. You would also set a minimum quantity of 5.

If you're saying that the price for the first 5 metres is different from the price of 5 metres, i.e. you need two prices for the product, then you would need to use attribute pricing.

In this case you would make your first 4 (yes 4) metres a required attribute with an attribute price and the quantity would be the amount purchased in excess of 4 metres (with a minimum quantity of 1).

That would get your pricing right. You would then need to be a little creative to the messaging to your customers correct in on the product page and in the checkout.

I understand that greater support for dimensions is planned for future releases of Zen Cart. Though whether it will be extended to pricing remains to be seen as there are so many possible algorithms. It will though provide a useful infrastructure for add-ons.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Additional cable lengths per metre?

Hi Thank you for the reply.

Extra cable is priced diferently from the initial product.

For example there is a product that is supplied fitted with 5 meters of cable as standard. Then there is an additional per metre cost if they want a longer cable fitted.

So the product with 5 metres of cable would be 19.99 then +.£0.60 for each additional metre of cable.

I have set up attributes for 10 extra metres so far just to test which works well. But after adding 10 I thought there's got to be an easier way than adding all 100 separately

After your tips I have ended up with a default attribute of 5 Metres with no extra cost. Then I have added 6 Metres + 0.60, 7 metres + 1.20, 8 metres + 1.80 etc. This looks and works well. Its just a lot of typing to get to 100

Thank you.
    Regards

Dave.

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder