Plugin Contributions

Default Deliver the correct info to Shipwire?

I have a Zen cart store ans we are using the 1.3.9a release and we also have the Shipwire shipping module installed.

You can view our site here:
    http://www.mrflirtshirt.com

We currently are not using the module because of what seems like a gross design oversight but is probably just my inability to think this through.

I have tested my Shipwire install and it is communicating with their server but we have hit a really big snag. Apparently each size and color combination needs it's own model #. For a clothing store with multiple size and color combos for each item this really isn't practical.We really want to use shipwire as it seems like a great service. Can any other store owners tell me how they solved similar problems? Thanks!

Amy

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Making Zen Cart deliver the correct info to Shipwire

Model numbers per attribute combination are not available in stock Zen Cart. Stock by Attributes should be able to track inventory, but I don't know if it has anything that could be used as a model number.
    V2.0 in development will have attribute combination model number support when it comes out (no timeline available).

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Glenn, Trust me, I've already tried to go down that road, and it was ugly. I can't be the only store developer in Zen Cart who has had to solve this problem with Shipwire, can I?

Amy

Plugin Contributions

Have you asked the guys at Shipwire? They built it.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Hello Amy,

Few of us saw this thread and we kicked around an e-mail internally to see if there was a fast answer. Couple thoughts below.

Overall, we would welcome a conversation as we're planning features to better manage complex catalogs. We'd like to hear more about how you'd like to see this work and how Zen-cart specifically helps you manage SKU's for apparel.

Couple other thoughts.

1. Each unique sku for apparel in the warehouse must be individually polybagged and labeled with the SKU. A Medium black t-shirt is a different SKU# than a Large black t-shirt.

2. I'm not sure if "Model" is a defined term in the way you are using it. Does Zencart give you a unique product ID for every different style, color, size variation? eg. concatenate of [5 digit Model #][2digit color code][2 digit size][2 digit "other" code]? Then possible use our SKU/product upload feature that can make it easier to build those SKU's in Shipwire once you get the unique ID.

3. Ideal your unique SKU# should be less than 12 characters.

Again, if you haven't contacted Shipwire yet. It may be best if I facilitate a conversation with our team to better understand the frustration.

Nate Gilmore
    Shipwire Team
    ngilmore at shipwire dot com if you need to reach me to set up a conversation.
    Zen Cart order fulfillment. Shipwire product fulfillment has warehouses in the U.S., Canada and UK. Shipwire instructions for Zen-cart shipping fulfillment setup

Plugin Contributions

The current version of Zen Cart does not give unique model numbers for product variations (combinations of attributes). V2.0 in development is supposed to support this feature.

Plugin Contributions

hmmm. I can also see from a quick search of the forums that there doesn't appear to be an add-on module that can support this functionality yet. Appears to be pretty often requested.

Amy, please do reach out to us.

Also search the forums as some users had some ideas for other apparel vendors having to create unique model numbers for what I'm guessing may be down stream inventory management systems.

N
    Zen Cart order fulfillment. Shipwire product fulfillment has warehouses in the U.S., Canada and UK. Shipwire instructions for Zen-cart shipping fulfillment setup

Plugin Contributions

We also use the Stock by Attributes mod, and we are looking to go with Shipwire.

I've just emailed Shipwire today with a few questions, but I wanted to mention that Im getting my programmer to look at adding the ability to record individual SKU's in the SBA mod.

Assuming it all goes smoothly and there's no objections from the team who built the SBA mod, i'll share it with everyone here.

Cheers,

Scott.
    Donation made. Enjoy those donuts! :-)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Deliver the correct info to Shipwire?

Was any progress made on this? It does seem tons of people desperately need this. One client of ours who is using Shipwire is ready to completely ditch Zen Cart because of this, which is of course very frustrating as we've put a lot of work into it and everything else works great.

With the Stock by Attributes module installed, it does seem like it shouldn't be a huge leap to have unique model numbers (skus) for all the attributes combos. I can't quite see a way to do this, though.

I think this is a big issue with Zen Cart, and the next full version where this is promised has been "coming soon" for years, so not much hope there.