Plugin Contributions

help question Adding Disqus comment system

I'm aiming towards adding the Disqus comment system to my shop. I want customers to be able to comment on product pages, which means some dynamic urls have to be defined.

The main code is (cut off)
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
        /* * * CONFIGURATION VARIABLES: EDIT BEFORE PASTING INTO YOUR WEBPAGE * * */
        var disqus_shortname = 'example'; // required: replace example with your forum shortname

// The following are highly recommended additional parameters. Remove the slashes in front to use.
        // var disqus_identifier = 'unique_dynamic_id_1234';
        // var disqus_url = 'http://example.com/permalink-to-page.html';
    If shortname is easy (you define it when creating an account), but identifier and url is a bit more tricky. You are not required to add identifier or url (the window URL will be used if not), but it's highly recommended.
    Disqus help states
    "IDENTIFIER: Tells the Disqus service how to identify the current page. When the Disqus embed is loaded, the identifier is used to look up the correct thread. If disqus_identifier is undefined, the page's URL will be used. The URL can be unreliable, such as when renaming an article slug or changing domains, so we recommend using your own unique way of identifying a thread."
    "URL: Tells the Disqus service the URL of the current page. If undefined, Disqus will take the window.location. This URL is used to look up or create a thread if disqus_identifier is
    undefined. In addition, this URL is always saved when a thread is being created so that Disqus knows what page a thread belongs to.
    "

I've extracted a line of php from a Facebook like button
    Code:
    <?php echo urlencode(zen_href_link(zen_get_info_page((int)$_GET['products_id']),'cPath='.(int)$_GET['cPath'].'&products_id=' . (int)$_GET['products_id'])); ?>
    When I try this code and uncomment the identifier and url vars, Disqus won't load (it gives an error message, that's all). Furthermore, I'm a bit confused about the difference between the two.

I'm using v.1.3.9h.
    Last edited by scrap; 19 Dec 2010 at 05:12 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding Disqus comment system

Addon:
    When I try the extracted php-line and uncomment the identifier and url vars, Disqus won't load (it gives an error message, that's all). Furthermore, I'm a bit confused about the difference between the two. Disqus loads and are accepting correct comments when the vars are commented out though. Perhaps a non-issue as the vars don't have to be defined, but "highly recommended" usually means "highly recommended" for a reason :)

Plugin Contributions

Scrap,

Any updates to this? Did you get the Disqus system to work with your zen cart implementation?

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your pm. I replied in a more elaborate manner and will update this thread with the "working" code tomorrow, if i still have it (we decided not to have a review system after all).

Plugin Contributions

Update: No, I'm afraid I've removed that iteration of the code...

Plugin Contributions

Hi, I found that Disqus is very interesting and that's was a great idea to implement it to Zen Cart.

I did some research couple days ago and finally i can make this work, i am uploading it to zen cart contribution, but i guess this will take sometime to be approved and this is my first time to upload the contribution.
    By the way, you still can try the demo or download my module in

http://www.samuelsena.com

Don't forget to do a backup before do anything with my module.