Plugin Contributions

Default upgrade data base issue

I am currently using 1.3.8a with database of php4

When I do the upgrade of website, will it also upgrade the database from php4 to php5?

Or I need to upgrade the database to php5 before I upgrade the website to 1.3.9?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: upgrade data base issue

Quote Originally Posted by musicfreer View Post
    I am currently using 1.3.8a with database of php4

When I do the upgrade of website, will it also upgrade the database from php4 to php5?
    No.

Actually, you are also mixing services here... PHP is an HTML pre-Processor, the MySQL database is where data is stored.

Totally different programs/applications, and both have thier own (different) version numbers. It is just a coincidence that both are currently at V5.x.x

Or I need to upgrade the database to php5 before I upgrade the website to 1.3.9?
    Thanks
    Most users don't have the permissions needed to update the database *server* at all. Ever.

They also don't have permissions to update the PHP version that the host has installed either, BUT, because of compatibility issues betweeen PHP4 and PHP5 many hosts have *both* versions installed, and you, the end user, will/may/should have the ability to select which one to use. This really does depend on you webhost though.

Bottom line, a zencart upgrade will not upgrade you PHP, nor your database server. It will however (if done correctly) update some of the contents of the database contents..

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    No.

Actually, you are also mixing services here... PHP is an HTML pre-Processor, the MySQL database is where data is stored.

Totally different programs/applications, and both have thier own (different) version numbers. It is just a coincidence that both are currently at V5.x.x

Most users don't have the permissions needed to update the database *server* at all. Ever.

They also don't have permissions to update the PHP version that the host has installed either, BUT, because of compatibility issues betweeen PHP4 and PHP5 many hosts have *both* versions installed, and you, the end user, will/may/should have the ability to select which one to use. This really does depend on you webhost though.

Bottom line, a zencart upgrade will not upgrade you PHP, nor your database server. It will however (if done correctly) update some of the contents of the database contents..

Cheers
    Rod
    Thanks for your reply.
    Sorry for mixing up the stuff.

My hosting can support 4.1 and 5.0 version.

My current database is 4.1

I found that if I create a new database (5.0) in hosting, then restore the new database with the old database backup, I will have the same database of my current data, but version 5.0. Does it matter to the upgrade of zen cart? thanks

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your reply.
    Sorry for mixing up the stuff.
    I've no idea what you are apologising for. You asked a rather meaningless question based on your lack of understanding, and I simply tried to explain this to you. For some stange reason you have chosen to pretty much ignore my explanation and give me an apology as though you had offended me for not knowing in the first place.
    <sigh>
    What really offends me is the fact that you apparently got nothing from my post at all and I simply wasted my time.

My hosting can support 4.1 and 5.0 version.
    Didn't you learn anything from my post?

Version V4.1 and 5.0 of what? PHP, MySQL?
    Are we supposed to read your mind, or just guess? I gave you a lesson so that you can make yourself be understood, so what happens, you apologise for unknowingly being vague, and then repeat the vagueness.

My current database is 4.1
    You DO recall that I told you that this is not going to be within your capability to change, don't you?
    No? I'll repeat it......

"Most users don't have the permissions needed to update the database *server* at all. Ever."

I found that if I create a new database (5.0) in hosting,
    Now we are back to the vague/meanliness repetition of your first post.

Do we take this that you somehow upgraded the server database from V4.1 (as you stated above) to V5? Or do we (probably correctly) assume your database server is still V4.1 but you updated the *contents* of the database using PHP V5.x rather than PHP V4.x?
    Even that doesn't make a lot of sense... but it still makes a bit more sense than "I create a new database (5.0) in hosting,"

then restore the new database with the old database backup, I will have the same database of my current data, but version 5.0.
    Now I'm really unsure as to which "V5" you are referring to... Not that it matters, because you seriously are not making statements that make any logical sense to anyone other than yourself..

The *contents* of a database are non version specific. It doesn't matter if the data is inserted via php 4 or 5, or from a command line tool, an SQL client program or whatever..

Does it matter to the upgrade of zen cart? thanks
    Does *what* matter "to the upgrade of zencart"?

The version of the SQL server? No
    The Version of PHP? perhaps. :-)
    The contents of the zencart database? Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but in either case restoring the data from an older backup will undo any changes made by the upgrade, which will probably cause problems.

Does it matter if the database was created with PHP4 or PHP5? Not at all.

Are you confused about the difference betwwen a database server and the database contents? Apparenlty yes

Are you confused about the role played by PHP in relation to zencart and/or the database server? Apparently yes.

Do I want an apology from you for not knowing or understanding any of this? Most definelty not.

Will my next response to you on this matter cause offense? Probably, because if there is another response it means you have failed to read both responses so far and all you are looking for is someone to spoon feed you. I am not that person.
    I have provided all the answers you need (and asked for), and additional information to help you understand some of the components involved so that you can better explain yourself to others if necessary. If you feel the need to apologise again for taking up my time, please don't..
    If you wish to flame me for trying to teach you something that you don't wish to know, I won't be surprised.

Cheers
    Rod