Plugin Contributions

Default PayPal IPN Item Details in PayPal Transaction

ZC - 1.3.9h installed
    Payment Module - PayPal IPN
    Verified all Settings in ZC and PP including tokens and URLs.
    Customer checkout cycle circles back to ZC from PP. ZC order has all details of payment and item details in order. However, "trans type" is different.
    Working Trans Type = cart
    Incorrect Trans Type = web_accept and unique

Issue - No longer seeing items in PP transactions. Had been working since initial install of ZC 1.3.8.

Last payment with desired format 01/10/11 6pm.
    First occurrence of issue 01/11/11 6am.

Obviously "something" had to have changed. I know nothing was done on my site last night from an admin/file perspective but I want to double check versions.

What file is responsible for sending the call to PP with the Shopping Cart info? What categorizes the Trans Type?

I want to identify if there was a change in my ZC.
    Test a rollback to previous version.
    Get item details back into my PP transactions.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by BSHRC; 11 Jan 2011 at 07:36 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PayPal IPN Item Details in PayPal Transaction

PayPal Trans. Type defined.
    https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...ndPDTVariables

Looks like ZC sends the trans type in the txn_type variable. "web_accept" and "unique" are obviously incorrect.

Plugin Contributions

Anyone know what page send the info to paypal?

Plugin Contributions

Alright, I got my answers after a long night of research.

Not sure what actually sends PayPal the purchase info yet but I know why I don't get line item details.

If a customer uses a coupon or is part of a discount group, paypal does not get the itemized cart info. It just gets the total due.

if the customer does not have any discounts applied when checking out the cart shows all line items in all their glory.

Here is the line which verifies it.
    includes/modules/payment/paypal.php

Ln 500
    Code:
    $db->Execute("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Detailed Line Items in Cart', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_DETAILED_CART', 'No', 'Do you want to give line-item details to PayPal?  If set to True, line-item details will be shared with PayPal if no discounts apply and if tax and shipping are simple. Otherwise an Aggregate cart summary will be sent.', '6', '22', 'zen_cfg_select_option(array(\'No\',\'Yes\'), ', now())");

Hope that helps the next person that decides to give people discounts in their store.

Plugin Contributions

So is this correct? If you use a discount coupon, there is no way that you will know what the customer has ordered if you use PayPal?

I am not getting this information sent to me at the moment - and through investigation I have come to the same line.

So I have now set it to true/yes.

But what is one to do if a coupon is used? Contacting the customer to discover the item ordered is silly.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tpeck View Post
    So is this correct? If you use a discount coupon, there is no way that you will know what the customer has ordered if you use PayPal?

I am not getting this information sent to me at the moment - and through investigation I have come to the same line.

So I have now set it to true/yes.

But what is one to do if a coupon is used? Contacting the customer to discover the item ordered is silly.
    a) You're using the OLD way of "PayPal IPN" (aka "Website Payments Standard") which relies on old styles of interacting between payment system and website.
    If you turned OFF your current PayPal module (Click "Remove" on it) and install Express Checkout instead, you wouldn't have any of these problems.

b) Your customer's itemized list of products does NOT need to show up on PayPal's side in order for you to fulfill the orders, since the *actual* details will be in the order stored on *your* website, and shown in the order-confirmation emails.
    If the order isn't showing up on *your* site, then you're running into *yet another* problem with the older communications requirements between PayPal WPS/IPN and your store ... which will no longer be an issue when you switch to Express Checkout.

c) and if you're using the latest version of Zen Cart, then even discounts should be handled fine for your customers and Express Checkout

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks so much! It works! I hope this helps someone else who has not chosen Express Checkout.