Plugin Contributions

help question 1 step forward, 3 steps back!

OK so I'm new and am starting to realize this may be over my head. I use Zencart and I purchased a template from Algozen. I was able to enable the template in Zencart and start playing around with my site. The changes I made would show on my site which is live during my construction . Anyway, I guess I fooled around too much and because I didnt like where the site was headed I reinstalled the template to start fresh. Unfortunately, the actual website is my old "fool around" pages and the only files I can find in Photoshop to edit is my fresh new template. I had originally uploaded my site using winSCP and when I try to do that again it doesnt seem to work. What can I do now to get back to square one?? Thank you!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 1 step forward, 3 steps back!

The easiest way would be to delete everything on the site now and start over from scratch with a fresh Zencart installation. It's often easier to delete large numbers of folders and files using the File Manager in your hosting account's control panel.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much for that. That was easy. Now can I just go back and transfer everything back over using winSCP the way I did originally? Do you recommend winSCP for FTP - I heard FTP isnt as secure. Thanks again.

Plugin Contributions

I haven't used it - I use the FireFTP plugin for Firefox, and many here use Filezilla.

You should be able to upload the files the way you did before.

I install Zencart a lot and do it a little differently. I upload the Zencart zip file to the directory I want it installed to on the server (1 minute), then use the control panel File Manager to Extract it (2 seconds, and no corrupted files), then move all the folders and files from out of the intermediate folder to the root, using FTP (5 seconds).

Another bonus of this method is that (on my server, anyway) all the file permissions are already correct for the installation.