Plugin Contributions

Default Pay Pal Standard/IPN Issue - (56) Received HTTP code 403 from proxy after CONNECT

I just started using Zen Cart and am getting everything set up so I can start adding products. I am currently trying to figure out the Pay Pal IPN module and its making my head hurt.

I have followed the directions in the admin and have tried running a couple test payments from my credit card (not logging into my pay pal account). The transaction goes through on pay pals end, but when I get redirected back to my site it gets complicated. It sends me to the thank you page, but does not show an order number (just blank after your order number...). When I log onto my fake customer that I created it does not give me the option to see past orders, and no new order shows up on my admin home page.

So I can take peoples money, but I do not know what they paid for! Maybe not a problem for some, but I am guessing this will not lead to repeat business. I also tried the testing IPN instructions on this forum:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65680

Everything came back ok. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks

Mark
    Southpriced.com

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Pay Pal IPN Issue

Those symptoms are all common indications that the communications from PayPal's server to *your* server are not working properly. And, that is a VERY common problem when using the PayPal Website Payments Standard module, since it's built on very old architectural ideas of PayPal.

You won't have those problems if you use PayPal Express Checkout instead. It gives you all the same purchasing options, but when an order is paid it immediately reflects that in the store because the transaction and payment are handled all at the same time.

Changing is simple: click REMOVE on your Website Payments Standard module, and click INSTALL on the Express Checkout module, and configure it according to the instructions: www.zen-cart.com/getpaypal

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Ok I set up a business pay pal account and followed the instructions that you gave and I am still having problems. Below is the error message I get when I try making a test payment:

An error occurred when we tried to contact the payment processor. Please try again, select an alternate payment method, or contact the store owner for assistance. () - (56) Received HTTP code 403 from proxy after CONNECT

My site is hosted and was installed by godaddy. Another thing that I have noticed is that the order status for Paypal Express Checkout shows as "Processing". This was the same for the payments standards IPN...not sure if that means anything. Lastly I re-entered my signature information twice from paypal to make sure that was not the issue.

Thanks for your help and hopefully this is normal...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwoods83 View Post
    An error occurred when we tried to contact the payment processor. Please try again, select an alternate payment method, or contact the store owner for assistance. () - (56) Received HTTP code 403 from proxy after CONNECT
    That's because you've got your store set up to use a CURL Proxy, when it shouldn't.
    Classic GoDaddy problem.
    My site is hosted and was installed by godaddy.
    You'll soon realize that that was a bad choice.
    Another thing that I have noticed is that the order status for Paypal Express Checkout shows as "Processing".
    That's normal. That's ONLY showing you the setting you selected in the module's setting choices. It is ONLY telling you what the status will be of any orders paid for by using that module. IT IS NOT TELLING YOU THAT THE MODULE IS WAITING FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN.

Go to Admin->Configuration->My Store->CURL PROXY STATUS and set it to False.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

That did the trick. Thank you very much for all of your help.

Plugin Contributions

That's just what I've been waiting for. Thanks for sharing your knowledge Dr. Byte.

Thanks a million!