Plugin Contributions

Default Added Zen Cart as Simple Script-next step please

Currently am trying to sort out what my steps are. In adding Zen Cart as a Simple Script addon - it created a mysql database named znc.

However - the name of my Zen Cart is website/estore, which obviously is the folder name on the website.

How/where does my estore know to connect to the mysql database it created as znc? I was trying to locate this in the admin sections of the zen cart pages but didn't see it readily available. I thought there would be a place to point to the znc database.

I am using bluehost - I also need to know if I still have to follow setting up permissions on the database as explained on this FAQ

Sorry for the long post. I haven't built a site in a coons age and never had to work with mysql.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Added Zen Cart as Simple Script-next step please

I don't know anything about Simple Scripts or bluehost, but I take it you haven't actually "installed" Zen Cart yet? Downloading/uploading the files is only the preliminary step. Do you have the username and password for your database? You should have gotten or set those when the db was created.

When you install ZC (by navigating in your browser to yoursite.com/estore/zc_install/ and following the instructions), you will be asked to enter the db name, username and password.

If you are in your ZC admin (with Configuration, Catalog, etc. tabs), then Simple Scripts has already finished installing ZC for you and given it the db information. The downside of something like Simple Scripts or Fantastico is that you have no idea what has happened to make your site available, and if/when something goes wrong you will not know where to start looking for answers. We always recommend to NEVER use one of these for upgrading, as they can destroy your customized settings or information in some cases, or cause other errors.

Plugin Contributions

One click script installers, such as Simple Script, should only be used to test and evaluate a script you may be thinking of using. As you noticed, they install the script into a sub-directory because that's makes it easy to do the setup for you.

In the case of Zen Cart, you find the database information in these two files:

estore/admin/includes/configure.php
    estore/includes/configure.php

Once you have finished testing or evaluating a script you should then uninstall it, again using Simple Script, then install the script manually. This will allow you to be more knowledgeable about the script install and, in the case of Zen Cart, add extra security such as by renaming the 'admin' dir.

Plugin Contributions

Correct me if I'm wrong. I will be uploading this to www/estore folder. Then I will have to access the install file under https://ww w.cigfinity.com/estore/zc_install in order to point to the name of the mysql database is.

The www/estore folder is how I understand where the live website files are stored and the location where I upload/ftp everthing to.

Do I have this right?

Plugin Contributions

Yes, except that (unless you have a specific reason to) you should not install your Zen Cart in the /estore/ subdirectory, but in the /www/ directory. This will let your store address be www.yourdomain.com instead of www.yourdomain.com/estore/.

https://ww w.cigfinity.com/estore/zc_install
    should be
    http://ww w.cigfinity.com/zc_install
    as there is usually no reason to make your whole store https - it makes your site significantly slower for no advantage.