Plugin Contributions

Default Advice/clarification needed on setting up to accept 2 currencies

Hi

I hope i can explain this clearly and would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

My local currency is Euro but i buy my product in Sterling and I have customers both in Ireland (Euro) and the UK (Sterling).

the market dictates that i must match the retail prices charged in the UK so my Euro prices will be a straight conversion.

I want to charge my Irish customers in Euro and my UK customers in Sterling

(i have extra costs in supplying my customers in Ireland so I don't want to be caught for the cost of currency conversion as well. i can take the hit on UK customers paying in Sterling)

My paypal account is set to accept Euro (default) and Sterling.

What currency should i set up as default on zen-cart - euro or sterling or does it matter?

Basically I want to set up zen-cart and paypal so if a customers credit card is euro then they get charged in euro and if sterling they get charged in sterling.

Thanks in advance for the help

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Advice/clarification needed on setting up to accept 2 currencies

Quote Originally Posted by iddy View Post
    My paypal account is set to accept Euro (default) and Sterling.

What currency should i set up as default on zen-cart - euro or sterling or does it matter?
    Zen Cart doesn't care. But whichever you choose will be the base price, and if someone chooses the other currency, all prices will be adjusted by the exchange rate you've set in your admin. The conversion works only in one direction, so you must pick one, and the other will be calculated.
    Quote Originally Posted by iddy View Post
    Basically I want to set up zen-cart and paypal so if a customers credit card is euro then they get charged in euro and if sterling they get charged in sterling.
    Nice idea, but you can't do that.
    Zen Cart and PayPal both have no way of knowing what currency the customer's card is set up for.
    You have to rely on the customer choosing which currency they wish to shop in while they're on your site.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Advice/clarification needed on setting up to accept 2 currencies

This might be of some help if anybody is looking to do the same as i am. the thread below gives a way to set currency by ip