Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Cannot access admin area, receive a 500 Internal Server Error

Yes, what type of server you have does matter. Your web hosts will know.

It's also extremely unlikely that adding a DirectoryIndex entry is going to resolve this for you. That would only be of benefit if you had a corrupt index.html file in your admin folder, when the suggested addition would cause the index.php to be executed instead. However, as Zen Cart doesn't have an index.html file in that folder, it shouldn't have any effect.

What advice or information did your web hosts give?
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Placing the DirectoryIndex command in your htaccess file will cause this to happen: When a user types in yoursite.com, your site will look for filename.php in your root directory (or any directory if you specify this in the global [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]htaccess[/FONT][/FONT]), and if it finds it, it will load that page as the default page. If it does not find filename.php, it will then look for index.html; if it finds that one, it will load it, if not, it will look for index.shtml etc. and the whole process repeats until it finds a file it can use. * Basically, the list of files is read from left to right.
    no sense in posting .I will let the zen experts guide you.I'm out.

Plugin Contributions

I have not contacted the web hosts yet. I'm figuring that my lack of knowledge is the root cause. Also, if I had spent a little more money I could have had their shopping cart on my site, so I'm worried they will be less than helpful with getting this shopping cart installed. Maybe I shouldn't assume that.
    I did find some more information that might be helpful to the people who know what they're doing.
    I am on a Linux server, the MySQL version is 5.0.91-community, Apache version (I've seen that mentioned in my searches of this forum) is 2.2.15 and PHP version is 5.2.13.

As far as the .htaccess, when I perform a search in my file manager, i find an instance of it in the admin folder, but I can't physically find it.

As far as talking to the web host, what exactly do I tell them? I don't understand enough about what's going on to articulate my problem to them.

Plugin Contributions

As a starting point I'd contact them and tell them that you are getting Internal Server Errors and ask whether there's anything in your error log that could explain this.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Kuroi, I am no longer receiving a 500 error message. After the last uninstall/reinstall I simply get a blank screen. Also, the error log that I can access (which might be different than what the web host can access) only has 2 lines that keep recurring.
    [Wed Mar 16 11:43:26 2011] [error] [client 99.156.4.230] File does not exist: /home/crewgirl/public_html/favicon.ico
    [Wed Mar 16 10:22:43 2011] [error] [client 12.231.212.234] File does not exist: /home/crewgirl/public_html/404.shtml
    The only thing that changes is the client numbers.

Plugin Contributions

It works!!!! I called a friend with some programming experience and they helped me add the line to the .htaccess file and now it works!!!
    Thank you everyone, but especially usr50!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12