Plugin Contributions

Default Category Restrictions Confusion

Hi Gang!

So if I have 20 categories, and I want to limit a coupon only for one category, do I have to add the one I want with "Allow" and all other 19 categories as "Denied"?

I bet there is an easier way.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

thanks!
    gabstero

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Category Restrictions Confusion

Set the TOP to DENY and set the 1 Category you want to ALLOW ... assuming that you are in v1.3.9 and that you have all the Products in that Category using it as the master_categories_id then you should be set ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Let's say that I want to use a coupon code to offer a free product of my choosing if a person buys 5 of a product from a given category.

All products in the category are priced the same.

If I set the top to deny and set the category of product that they have to buy 5 of to allow, and set the minimum purchase amount to 5x the item price, will that accomplish what I want to do?

I will be distributing the coupon code via newsletter, and will instruct them to add the 5 products to their cart, along with the freebie item, and then the coupon code will discount their order by the price of the freebie item.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Plugin Contributions

The best answer I have is: try it and see if it works or not.

Plugin Contributions

I have set it up and it appears to work, but this is the first time I've used the restrictions settings for a coupon code, so I was juts looking for some validation that my strategy was sound and that I understood how the restrictions settings work properly.

Plugin Contributions

Well I have another situation to propose.

Let's say I want to give away a free item that I want to promote with any purchase of a minimum amount, as long as they enter their discount code.

The person adds the free item to their cart, and enough merchandise to bring their order total high enough.

My question is, going this route, I would actually be setting the minimum order amount to the quoted amount, plus the price of the freebie item, with a discount amount equal to the price of the freebie.

If I put a deny restriction on the freebie product, will it deny the coupon code from working if that item is in their cart, or does it restrict that product from being figured towards the order total to qualify for using the coupon code?

I just want to make sure there's not some loophole where someone gets a huge discount without meeting the simple criteria I want to set.

What is the best way to setup a coupon code to do this?

I just want to give away a product for free with a minimum purchase as long as they are on my mailing list and have the coupon code.

Thoughts?