Plugin Contributions

Default How Do I Remove Extra Lines from Order Confirmation Email?

Zen Cart 1.3.8a on Linux server.

When I receive an order confirmation email alerting me that a customer has placed an order I make a print out of it. The problem is that it takes two pages to print the order confirmation. The second page has less than an inch of text on it. In the interest of being green and saving trees (and because I'm cheap), I'd like to get all the information printed on one page.

For example, about 3/4 of the length down the page, after the Payment Method is listed there is approximately 3/4" of empty white space, then there is a disclaimer about email addresses, then 1/2" empty space, then a footer showing the store name and Powered by Zen Cart, then the customer information starts but after Login name there is a page break and page two continues with Login email, telephone, IP Address, etc., then there is some white space then another disclaimer regarding US CAN-SPAM law.

It appears that the order confirmation email is comprised of several files joined together (checkout_process.php, email_extras.php) so I don't know which one to edit.

So, how can I get rid of some of these empty lines and get the entire order confirmation email to print to one page only?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How Do I Remove Extra Lines from Order Confirmation Email?

Bumping this thread, hoping for an answer.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Simpler than changing code, just tell your email program to print only the first page when you go to print it.

Or, even greener yet, don't print anything at all. Instead just login to your store admin and access the order details there, and record any appropriate notes there since they can be sent to the customer automatically from the same screen.

Else you'll need to hack up the /includes/classes/order.php file and remove whatever you think you don't need. Remember that you'll have to repeat those edits after upgrading.

Speaking of upgrading, you're using a very old version which has numerous well-published serious security vulnerabilities well known in the hacker community. You should be more concerned about upgrading than the extra click it takes to tell it to print only the first page of an email.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Simpler than changing code, just tell your email program to print only the first page when you go to print it.
    I need customer information on both pages in order to enter it into my database.

Or, even greener yet, don't print anything at all. Instead just login to your store admin and access the order details there, and record any appropriate notes there since they can be sent to the customer automatically from the same screen.
    Yeah, maybe, but that would entail an extra step in my order processing procedure.

Else you'll need to hack up the /includes/classes/order.php file and remove whatever you think you don't need.
    I did look at that file but removing empty lines did not change the output of the print out. Either that or I couldn't remove empty lines.

Remember that you'll have to repeat those edits after upgrading.
    One of the reasons I've resisted upgrading. I've made numerous textual changes to various files.

Speaking of upgrading, you're using a very old version which has numerous well-published serious security vulnerabilities well known in the hacker community. You should be more concerned about upgrading than the extra click it takes to tell it to print only the first page of an email.
    I started to do the upgrade and I realized I was in for a long process so I abandoned it.

Plugin Contributions

At some point, you are going to have to bite the "I didn't have the time" bullet and upgrade. It's not as harrowing as most think IF you are willing to take the shrink wrap off the instructions and follow them.

AND..... The part that makes me go , is
    I need customer information on both pages in order to enter it into my database.
    I wouldn't let them know that you're keeping their data in more than one place! Backups in separate locations are one thing, but duplicate customer data could violate so many CC/PCI standards.

Many of us have tried to adapt Zen Cart to what we did in a previous life and had it come back to humble us later. While it may seem uncomfortable to use the admin customer management system, a short period of continued use will find you flying through the steps.

Also... When making a text/code change, take the time to add a comment with your initials or some other word code that you can search for easily during an upgrade. Time spent doing it correctly is never wasted.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Please tell us the name of your site so we don't shop there. I sure don't want you accessing my complete credit card number over unsecure communications methods. I bet your customers wouldn't be happy either ... nor would your merchant account vendor.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    At some point, you are going to have to bite the "I didn't have the time" bullet and upgrade. It's not as harrowing as most think IF you are willing to take the shrink wrap off the instructions and follow them.
    Yeah, I realize I'm going to have to do it. Holiday weekend coming up sounds like a good time.

AND..... The part that makes me go , is I wouldn't let them know that you're keeping their data in more than one place! Backups in separate locations are one thing, but duplicate customer data could violate so many CC/PCI standards.
    Not to worry, I only enter name and address and product ordered into my database. No credit card information leaves the cart or is recorded elsewhere.

Also... When making a text/code change, take the time to add a comment with your initials or some other word code that you can search for easily during an upgrade. Time spent doing it correctly is never wasted.
    That is a great idea. Thanks, will implement it.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Please tell us the name of your site so we don't shop there. I sure don't want you accessing my complete credit card number over unsecure communications methods. I bet your customers wouldn't be happy either ... nor would your merchant account vendor.
    As far as I know, I don't have access to the complete credit card information either via Zen Cart or Authorize.net (can only see last four digits), so it would be impossible for me to make customers or merchant account vendors unhappy in this regard.