Plugin Contributions

Default Soooo confused on accepting payments!

Hello, if anyone could please help me or give me advice on where I need to go I would love you!

Basically, just finished setting up a site, and have just confingured paypal payments, however I now want to sort out accepting credit/debit cards also.

My mom has a retail unit in a shopping centre and accepts card payments through her terminal, she has an account with a company called CPS (Card Processing Solutions) and has her merchant ID etc..

I just have NO IDEA what on earth I am supposed to do online in zen cart to also accept payments?

I see there are options like 'authorize.net' but what do these mean? Do I have to sign up with these and also pay them a fee for sales like she currently does with CPS? or is there some simple solution to integrate that i'm missing?

Could someone please help a dummy understand more :)
    Thanks! Nick.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Soooo confused on accepting payments!

Sorry the site is here incase you may need to see:

www.mypreciousgifts.co.uk

Plugin Contributions

Authorize.net and Paypal Payments Pro (to name two) are payment processors that allow customers to stay on your site to pay (unlike Paypal Express, for example). They require that your server be PCI compliant, and there are fees involved. Check the Recommended Services link, above.

The manual method you describe has some caveats:

Your mom's payment processor may not allow you to do that (many, if not most, don't - online transactions are inherently more risky than card-present ones).

If they do, you'll need to install this:

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1277

since the Manual Card module was removed from Zencart in the current version for security reasons.

I don't recommend you do that regardless - I, for one, wouldn't do business with you if I knew you were processing payments that way.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Authorize.net and Paypal Payments Pro (to name two) are payment processors that allow customers to stay on your site to pay (unlike Paypal Express, for example). They require that your server be PCI compliant, and there are fees involved. Check the Recommended Services link, above.

The manual method you describe has some caveats:

Your mom's payment processor may not allow you to do that (many, if not most, don't - online transactions are inherently more risky than card-present ones).

If they do, you'll need to install this:

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1277

since the Manual Card module was removed from Zencart in the current version for security reasons.

I don't recommend you do that regardless - I, for one, wouldn't do business with you if I knew you were processing payments that way.
    Hi thanks, I think I see what you mean, so if I used the authorise.net, or paypal pro it will allow customers to stay within the site - so effectively it's all integrated right? Does this then allow them to purchase directly through there cards then? I am just trying to find out how I can get customers to do that rather than have to go through paypal as there only option.

Thanks, very new to all this sorry am a slow learner lol!

Plugin Contributions

Yes, those two processors (and others) allow people to enter their CC details right on your site, and the processing takes place in the background. Don't underestimate the cost and possible hassle of passing PCI compliance testing, though, especially if you aren't doing much business. I'm using Paypal Express mostly these days, though it depends a lot on what you're selling, and to whom.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Yes, those two processors (and others) allow people to enter their CC details right on your site, and the processing takes place in the background. Don't underestimate the cost and possible hassle of passing PCI compliance testing, though, especially if you aren't doing much business. I'm using Paypal Express mostly these days, though it depends a lot on what you're selling, and to whom.
    Right, Just had a look and see it's £20 per month for the paypal pro option. I am not sure am ready to pay that! How does the express checkout differ? We have a normal business account, also notice there's an option for a virtual terminal.

Had a look at the express option but it don't say it costs?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Express doesn't have a monthly charge - just a fee for each transaction. You can get that info on Paypal's site.

The big difference is that customers are taken to Paypal's site to pay. Other than that, the experience is pretty much the same. They don't need a Paypal account to pay you and can use all popular credit cards.