Plugin Contributions

Default zcadmin folder vs. admin folder

I just recently upgraded to the latest version and now have 2 admin folders: admin (which still seems to control everything) and zcadmin. I can't find anything that tells me if I need to switch to the new folder or if I can continue using the original.

I want to make the site more secure by changing the name of the admin folder but need to know which folder to use -- I lean toward staying with the original because any files that were customized will be in there, but we lost some of our customizations and I have to find where those problems are located anyway so if there's a good reason to switch folders now would be the time to do it, I suppose.

Is there a good reason to switch? Is the zcadmin folder going to allow us to log in using https protocol? (I wasn't able to do that the way things were set up before the upgrade, haven't tried since.)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: zcadmin folder vs. admin folder

It sounds like you upgraded using your hosting control panel's auto-installer - not a good idea. Manual upgrades are the way to go.

Check the dates on the admin/includes/configure.php files to see which one is later - that's the one you want to change the name of. You should be able to delete the other, but back it up first.

Plugin Contributions

All the files in the admin folder have the date of modification listed as the day I did the upgrade. The files in the zcadmin folder have an assortment of modification dates. Does that mean I can/should change the name of the admin and delete the zcadmin so it doesn't cause confusion?

Plugin Contributions

I would have expected the other way around.

What I would do is change the name of one (I'd start with admin) and see what happens.

Plugin Contributions

The auto-install function probably got messed up because I tried to stop it from installing the zcadmin folder when I saw it in the list of actions it was going to take. I apparently did manage to convince it to use the admin folder, but not to eliminate the other. I renamed the zcadmin since it doesn't appear to be in use. I'll get to work on changing the name and config.php file for the other and hope for the best. :)