Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

red flag PAYPAL Express sometimes NOT Adding Shipping cost during PayPal login

ZenCart v 1.3.9h upgraded from 1.3.9g

PAYPAL Express sometimes NOT Adding Shipping cost to final price. Any ideas why ?

For example if I add a product to the cart and then select the "Checkout with PayPal" button it does not add the freight cost.

However if I first use the "Go to Checkout" option within ZenCart and then go back and Checkout with PayPal, it adds the freight cost.

This is non consistent though. Sometimes it works straight up and sometimes I need to go to checkout in ZenCart first to get the shipping cost registered.

This seems to be more of a problem when the user is NOT logged in, but the problem still sometimes happens even when logged in.

Very odd and concerning as it means customers can sometimes order products and not pay the shipping charge.

ZenCart v 1.3.9h upgraded from 1.3.9g
    Last edited by HeyIts007; 5 Jun 2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Thanks,

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PAYPAL Express sometimes NOT Adding Shipping cost during PayPal login

It's by design.

Zen Cart cannot magically guess the shipping cost until the customer provides a shipping address. And if they've not yet logged in, then there's no shipping address to use for calculating shipping.
    Instead, once the customer returns from selecting their funding options at PayPal, their shipping address is shared back to Zen Cart and then shipping is calculated and shown to the customer before they confirm the final payment amount.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: PAYPAL Express sometimes NOT Adding Shipping cost during PayPal login

Thanks, but I think this appears to be a BUG, as even if I enter the shipping address details for a Shipping Estimate, ZenCart still fails to utilize this session data when I select the "Checkout with PayPal" button.

This seems especially an issue when the user is not logged in, as logged in users have usually provided their address to ZenCart. Thus usually this shipping address is available to ZenCart for logged in users to be used to calculate the shipping cost to be include along with the products price, for transfer to the PayPal form.

I think this PayPal button should not process the transaction until the user has at least entered the shipping address via the Estimate Shipping option, if no shipping data is available and shipping is not free. That can surely be programmed around.

I don't think customers should be able to process a transaction that has a shipping cost associated with it and not have that cost included in the transaction total. That doesn't make any sense. If it is by design, then I think it's an unnecessary design limitation, however I really think it's a design flaw.

I think if the customer is to be allowed to use this feature, the customer shipping address ( if not available to ZenCart ) should be captured via a form, prior to it being sent on to PayPal along with a total cost including delivery.

If this can already be done with the products price being sent to the PayPal form, I would have thought it should be possible to add a delivery address via a pre PayPal address capture form, whether or not the user is logged in. I can't see why that would not be possible.
    Last edited by HeyIts007; 6 Jun 2011 at 06:59 PM.
    Thanks,

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: PAYPAL Express sometimes NOT Adding Shipping cost during PayPal login

Ideally though I think the actual shipping cost should be re-calculated after the full postal address has been provided by the customer, regardless of whether they are logged in or not. This should be prompted for via a postal address input form, displayed after the user has selected the "Checkout with PayPal" button.

If the user is logged in, then ZenCart can populate the form with the users postal address, which can either be edited or left as is, or if blank, the customer can then enter their full postal address. I think that really is common sense, at least conceptually.
    Last edited by HeyIts007; 6 Jun 2011 at 07:08 PM.
    Thanks,

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PAYPAL Express sometimes NOT Adding Shipping cost during PayPal login

You seem to be fully confused about how the "checkout with paypal" button works on the shopping cart page. Since it's confusing to you, perhaps you should just turn it off. Set the "Express Checkout Shortcut Button" option to false in your ZC EC settings and all your misunderstanding of how it works will disappear.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

There is no confusion at all, nor any misunderstanding. The process is logically flawed. A user should not be able to allow the ZenCart system to make this basic processing error, regardless of whether they are logged in or not.

It's an obvious ZenCart design flaw that increases the risk of error and thus incorrect pricing being applied, then later requiring post transaction correction. This feature should not be released if it's not reliable and clearly it is not reliable. It's a software quality control issue.
    Thanks,

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Your opinion is noted.
    And a very workable solution has already been provided to you.

Plugin Contributions

There is an option in the PayPal Express setup to require shipping address confirmation, but it does not seem to work. i.e. as per below.

"Express Checkout: Require Confirmed Address
    Do you want to require that your (not-logged-in) customers use a *confirmed* address when choosing their shipping address in PayPal? (this is ignored for logged-in customers)"

I had it set to;

Express Checkout: Require Confirmed Address
    Yes

This option does not seem to work, as it did not insist I provide a shipping address when not logged in and when selecting the PayPal Express button. Therefore on that basis, this appears to be a BUG. Not much point calling it PayPal Express Checkout, if it does not work as an Express Checkout should.
    Last edited by HeyIts007; 6 Jun 2011 at 07:44 PM.
    Thanks,

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Again, you misunderstand.

That "confirmed address" feature is something managed on the PayPal side. If enabled it will cause PayPal to reject a customer's purchase if they do not select a "confirmed address" from their *PayPal* address book.
    It DOES NOT make the not-logged-in customer enter an address before they go to PayPal to provide funding instructions.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the work around for now, however regardless of where this PayPal Express option is processed, the process appears flawed, because as per your explanation, it's evident that PayPal does not calculate and apply the shipping cost to the transaction total and nor does ZenCart in this instance of PayPal Express for users that are not logged in.

The only chance of the shipping cost being applied seems to be via ZenCart. I'm not aware that PayPal has a shipping module on its side and it makes more sense for the shipping cost application to be handled by the same system. i.e. ZenCart. Therefore the PayPal Express option appears faulty and is likely to result in erroneous transactions. It appears essentially a ZenCart design flaw and hence a BUG in the PayPal Express module and the way ZenCart integrates with it.

The work around is useful, however it means that the PayPal Express option is not reliably operable as it stands, as there is a clear propensity for transaction error to result from its use.
    Last edited by HeyIts007; 6 Jun 2011 at 08:03 PM.
    Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast