Plugin Contributions

Default New Theme & Old Add Ons

I want to change themes in my zen cart store. The problem is that I have several add ons installed, some of which may have files within my old templates folders.
    I will be wanting to remove all my old themes files from my server (if possible), one completed. There is a couple of add ons that I will no longer require and also want to delete however most I will want to remain functional. I know most of them that I have used but do not want to forget about any.
    Is there any support files about this process or any support that anybody could provide so that I have a flawless theme change?
    Thank you
    Visit Andy's Motorcycles
    www.andysmotorcycles.com
    Motorcycle & Scooter Parts, Spares & accessories

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New Theme & Old Add Ons

There is no documentation - largely because the files involved will be different for everybody.

There is however, a PROCEDURE.

Your new template (you call it THEME - a "wordpress" term) should all be based on the latest version of ZC, so before you change "themes", you should do a full upgrade anyway.

If you have any module installed that you want to keep, then you are going to have to establish if that module (when originally installed) over-wrote any CORE files. Some modules do overwrite a few core files - and if they do, then you are either going to have to find out if that module is compatible with the latest version, or what needs to be done to the code in the over-written files.

You will need to COMPARE the files of that module, to their equivalent CORE FILES in 1.3.9h .

Then, you will need to MODIFY the module file so that it meets any new core-code formats evident in the core 1.3.9 file.

THEN... you need to do the same with OVER-RIDE files... (Note: above I talk of OVERWRITTEN core files... now we deal with files that OVER-RIDE the core files.)

When your MODULES and ADD-ONS have appropriate code changes applied, that bring them into line with 1.3.9h protocols, you can do a full upgrade of the site.

Then, you can start working on your new template (theme) knowing that your PHP code is up-to-date, and your database is also patched to the new version.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Neither my old or new templates overwrote and edited any of my 1.3.9h core files and my site and databases are both up to date.
    My add ons however are not. Firstly I will remove any add ons I no longer require. I have downloaded fresh copies of all my add ons since many are outdated. Some I will also want to remove as they have no use within my new template.
    My problem is that many instances of my add ons had folder names which I has to update with my template name. Is it possible to update all of my add ons whilst changing the folder names (if any) to my new template name. I will be deleting all of the old templates files and folders afterwards anyway which should hopefully remove any rogue files. If any add ons require any sort of sql updates during installation then this to will be done.
    Is it possible to do in this way or not?
    Visit Andy's Motorcycles
    www.andysmotorcycles.com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Miff View Post
    Neither my old or new templates overwrote and edited any of my 1.3.9h core files and my site and databases are both up to date.
    My add ons however are not. Firstly I will remove any add ons I no longer require. I have downloaded fresh copies of all my add ons since many are outdated. Some I will also want to remove as they have no use within my new template.
    My problem is that many instances of my add ons had folder names which I has to update with my template name. Is it possible to update all of my add ons whilst changing the folder names (if any) to my new template name. I will be deleting all of the old templates files and folders afterwards anyway which should hopefully remove any rogue files. If any add ons require any sort of sql updates during installation then this to will be done.
    Is it possible to do in this way or not?
    "Is it possible to update all of my add ons whilst changing the folder names (if any) to my new template name."

If you mean "re-installing add-ons to my new theme"... then the answer is yes.

For example:-

Let's say you have ImageHandler2 installed and you now want ImageHandler2 on your NEW theme...

All you need do (on your LOCAL MACHINE), is change the relevant directory (folder) names in a copy of IH2, and then port everything to your server.

NB: There is usually NO NEED to re-run SQL patches for add-on modules... just change the folder names where appropriate, in order to get the PHP files into the correct location for your new "theme".

As always... make sure you back-up before doing changes, or at least make sure you know what core files to re-invoke if there are "problems".
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks.
    Is it then safe to remove all of the add on files which are within a directory for my old theme, ie OLD_TEMPLATE, just keeping the files located in NEW_TEMPLATE which were added upon re-installing the add ons.
    Afterwards I can then go through my old templates core files removing each from my server one by one. I have already made sure that no core files were edited or overwritten.
    Does this sound okay or is there another procedure for removing the old add ons?
    Visit Andy's Motorcycles
    www.andysmotorcycles.com

Plugin Contributions

As these files take up virtually no space on your server, leave them alone for now.

They can be useful POINTERS for you later, when your new theme is installed.

Besides... you don't need to DELETE your old theme folders and files in order to show a new theme... you simply SWITCH to a new template in your admin panel:

admin >>> tools >>> template selection

I suggest you LEAVE THE OLD TEMPLATE ALONE for now...

Just build your new one. Then SWITCH to it via the admin setting.

When you are 100% happy with your new template - and it works 100% - then you can consider deleting the old template folders and files.

But even then... keeping them can be useful - especially if you need something later... (Keep a backup, no matter what you decide to do).
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

When reinstalling my add ons am I safe to use the updated versions or should I install the versions I used previously?
    Visit Andy's Motorcycles
    www.andysmotorcycles.com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Miff View Post
    When reinstalling my add ons am I safe to use the updated versions or should I install the versions I used previously?
    Yes, and No...

SOME modules will have originally made dbase changes, that were compatible for their original files.

If a module has been upgraded, then it is possible it may need to have its database element upgraded too. Sometimes the author will have provided a SQL update patch, in other cases maybe no UPDATE patch is there - only a new SQL file. In such cases, you MAY need to run an UNINSTALL SQL patch from the old module files, to REMOVE the bits from the database first, before you can then install the later version of that module.

There is no "one-size-fits-all" answer. You need to look at each module's README files, and perhaps even the support thread on the forum. As a last resort, send a PM to its author.

The point to bear in mind is that there are in many cases TWO DISTINCT ELEMENTS to an add-on:

1. FILES
    2. DATABASE BITS (in cases where a mod needs dbase changes).

In a lot of cases, upgrades to PHP can require alterations to the database too. But this is not necessarily true in ALL cases. Each module (add-on) will need to be individually assessed and evaluated for just what needs to happen - both with its PHP upgrades and any potential database upgrades.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    As a last resort, send a PM to its author.
    Do not PM the author.
    Do not PM the author.
    Do not PM the author.

Put a message in the support thread. If noone responds, try adding more information about what you've done yourself to resolve the issue. Repeat as required. If you can't figure it out, hire someone on Odesk. But please do not expect the mod author or current custodian to fix your problem.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.