Plugin Contributions

Default web hosting - canceled GoDaddy hosting

I got a domain name from godaddy.com and signed up for web hosting. After ten days of dealing with their customer support I threw in the towel and canceled the web hosting. I could not get into the admin area to modify the template after I downloaded Zen Cart, but apparently they could. They kept referring me to PHP files, but never told me where they were or how to access them. They are obviously techno types who speak their own language and expect a user to know what they know.

I am looking for somewhere else to host my domain. I don't know where to look that can host a Zen Cart site. Any suggestions?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: web hosting

They are obviously techno types who speak their own language and expect a user to know what they know.
    It is assumed that one has a basic knowledge to be able to operate an online shop - - that will be true no matter where you are hosted

There is a link above for Certified Hosts
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Well at least you made one correct decision - to get out of GoDaddy...

But Kobra is right.

You will need to have a better knowledge of web-mastering if you want to manage the store yourself.

This will be true no matter what software you use. If you know very little about website management, then you have a few choices:-

1. Learn how to manage a website that uses PHP and MYSQL.
    2. Let someone else manage it for you, while you focus on running your business.
    3. Use one of the "plug n play" e-commerce hosts, where you pay a monthly fee, or some kind of service fee for then to maintain the technical stuff and all you need do is manage products and sales.

There are no "magic wands" and very few "short cuts", if your knowledge is poor.

There are a lot of tutorials on the internet that can help you. Start at w3schools.com
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I knew nothing about php and other webhosting concepts when I started too. I was able to learn a lot from forums. The forum for the actual web host I used (not godaddy), and this forum for any zencart issues. Although any web host you use isn't going to be able to walk you through too much, from the forums, the other people on the forums were able to point me to EXACTLY where certain php files were and what I needed to look for.