Thread: Site Meta Tags

Plugin Contributions

Default Site Meta Tags

Hi all,

Aplogies if this is a stupid question!

What is the easiest way to edit Main Page Meta Keywords and Descriptions?? So for example if you do a search on google, and want some text to appear underneath your website link, where should the text be entered?

Any help appreicated!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Site Meta Tags

The following file:

includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php

... contains the "sitewide" meta data

After you have edited this file (on your local machine) you should FTP the edited and saved file to:

includes/languages/english/YOUR_CUSTOM_TEMPLATE/meta_tags.php

Meta tags can also be "product-specific" and the data is added in the admin console, category/product edit section.

When you drill down into a category to show the list of products in that category, you'll see (on the right hand side) a series of coloured "buttons".

The one that looks like a "Radio-Active" symbol (or BMW car badge) is the one that controls the editing of product meta tags.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

... and as well...

Yo can set GLOBAL DEFAULTS for product meta tags in:

admin>>>catalog>>>Product Types>>>Product - General )CLICK "edit layout" button, and you will see global options for this Product Type.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hi, I have a small question about this as well... when you say (Schoolboy) that one should FTP the edited and saved file to includes/languages/english/YOUR_CUSTOM_TEMPLATE/meta_tags.php..... do you actually mean that I can NOT overwrite the original file? So I need to make a new folder and call it XXX and put the new file under there?

Plugin Contributions

Zencart has a clever system (like many good software programs these days) of OVER-RIDES.

Basically, an OVER-RIDE system is a method of allowing you to make edits and changes to an important CORE CODE file, without changing the CORE file itself. You create a "clone" of the CORE file, edit that clone, and save it in what is commonly called the "over-rides" folder.

In zencart's case, the over-ride system is fundamentally "template based".

When you create your zencart store, one of the first things you should do is create your own CUSTOM template (essentially, your "over-ride" system).

Then, when you edit or modify a CORE CODE file, you should always save that edited file to its appropriate OVER_RIDE folder.

Some files are not part of the over-ride system, but those that are, should be treated in the appropriate way.

Start your knowledgebase here:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=142
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I tried to edit the metatags.php file in my custom folder and it will not change. I think it is using another file and I cannot find it! There is a keyword that I want to remove and I cannot locate the right metatag.php file, I looked in includes/languages, include/laguages/custom and the ones in there are not the same.

Please assist.

Hank

***Edit....I figured it out, the file was pulling category names and I had the one I did not want at a higher Ranking. I moved the category and things are fine!
    Last edited by Hank3rd; 31 Dec 2009 at 04:35 AM.

I'm using ZenCart 1.3.7 on PHP 5.2.9.

I'm trying to edit the meta tags for category pages but the "biohazard" or "meta tag defined" icons are not showing for the category pages to the right of the page like they are supposed to. They are there for the product pages.

How do I get these icons to show so I can edit the meta tags for these pages?

Thanks in advance.

Plugin Contributions

I'm having a problem with my home page title, I've edited the title in meta_tags.php, uploaded the page using my FTP program, to mywebsite.com/store/includes/languages/english and to mywebsite.com/store/includes/languages/english/My Custom Template (which did not have the meta_tags.php in it) I go to my home page and it still reads Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce.

Can someone please help, this should be a very simple solution but it's not working and I'm frustrated