Plugin Contributions

help question Help on two product listing issues needed, please

Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided to my two issues as below:
    1. My product description starts with a CSS tabbed index. This creates a box with three tabs on the top named: "Product description", "Other Information" and "More pictures". Clicking on any of the tabs reveals the corresponding section. An example can be seen at the product info page.

So far, so good, everything works perfectly but... the description in product listing (150 characters) starts with the words "Product description", "Other Information" and "More pictures" followed by the beginning of actual product description. This takes a lot of the 150 characters and, more important, doesn't look nice at all. Example in product listing page.

I have tried to solve it by moving the tabs <div> below the product description but this just messes the product listing layout. My preferred solution would be to use the product's meta tag description in the product listing page. I understand that this can be done by changing the includes/modules/product_listing.php but I can't figure out how to do this although I tried hard around line 97 of the file. Could somebody help?

2. I have made "Postal Insurance" a product in its own category. My categories appear as pictures in the main page and also on the top drop-down menu. This can be seen in my main page. Additionally, I have the links to "Postal Insurance" pointing directly to the product info page.

What I want to achieve is to exclude this particular product only from displaying in "New products" and "All products" listings for obvious reasons. The product is not made "featured". therefore it is not listed in "Featured products". Disabling the category or the product doesn't help as the product is not found. Disabling the category and re-enabling the product does not help again because this makes the product visible in "All products" and "New products". The solution is to modify a couple of php files, but which ones and how?
    Any help to solve either or (preferably) both these issues will be much appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help on two product listing issues needed, please

Update: I solved half of issue #2 by changing the "Date product entered" in the database to 01/01/2001 and setting the Configuration > Maximum Values > New Product Listing - Limited to ... to 120 days.

That removed "Postal Insurance" from New Items but its listing in "All Items" still remains.

Plugin Contributions

This is only to mention that my two issues are now solved despite the lack of any reply. I'm only posting to help other users who may have similar problems.

1. I used a workaround for displaying a short 150-character text in the product listing by entering this two-line text above the tabs.

2. The hidden product was removed from "New Products" by changing "Date product entered" to a very old date. It was also removed from "All Products" by following Limelites' clear instructions in post #32 at http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...roducts&page=4. His very detailed instructions included the solution to remove it from "New Products" and "Advanced Search" as well.

Plugin Contributions

George,

Thanks for posting the solutions to your problems. You may have helped someone else.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.