Plugin Contributions

help question Getting started...from beginning

Ok, I have done these sites several times over but because I had other tools available to me over 5 yrs ago, I am having a mind freeze.
    I downloaded the software. I am looking for a place to temporarily host it because if accepted it will be uploaded to a direct server for the company.
    Someone suggested XAMPP but I need to be able to work on it from numerous computers .... sooooo.... since I need a domain name I guess.... but don't want to BUY one because again this is temp... how do I go about this? are there free ones? All I want to do is make a simple example of the sites potential...but can't seem to get my head wrapped about just opening and editing the software...man, I'm feeling OLD! .
    What is the best ... and cheapest... way to get this whole ball rolling? I DO remember how to edit the thing, just not how to get into it! lol
    HELP!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Getting started...from beginning

set the site up in a folder under your domain.

your site dot com / other site

Tina

Plugin Contributions

Ok, don't I have to have a domain and host to upload anything? Maybe I've been away from this too long, but I remember how to do the basic editing of the cart, just no longer have the "tools" to get started.
    I have looked for free hosting and free domain but getting now where even after signing up with a few.
    All of the "real" hosts want you to pay for 3 months in advance....I won't need it that long!
    Can someone please just help me with the basics to get started....I had it ALL 5 years ago, but had to let everything go (ALOT more including things not remotely related to zencart of the internet!)

Plugin Contributions

Yes, you need a domain to open a hosting account.

There are lots of good hosts who allow you to pay month-to-month. Even if they require three months up front, it won't be much money. My host charges $3.95 a month for their Starter Plan. Twelve bucks for three months is a steal, and just a cost of doing business.. Forget the 'free' hosting - most, if not all, won't run a dynamic program like Zencart properly.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Steve
    While I understand $12 isn't a lot of money to some....it would be in this situation where its only needed for a month at the most. So I'd be paying $12 for a month or less. If they would allow a month to month with no min. then it would be different.
    Again, this is no longer my line of work, but trying to help out a friend who works for a company that could really benefit from this sort of site.