Plugin Contributions

Default GoDaddy - what advice can I give to my client?

I'm going to be building a ZenCart site for a client and she insists on using GoDaddy. I've seen numerous posts here from people about problems with GoDaddy. Should I try to steer her to another server, and if so what reasons can I give her?
    Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: GoDaddy - what advice can I give to my client?

First, I would ask her why she is so dead set on using GoDaddy. My guess is that she won't have a rational reason other than the fact that they do a lot of advertising.

Then I would point out that it's pretty much established fact that the webhosts who do the most (expensive) advertising tend to overload their servers, which can cause sites to be slow or not load at all.

If that fails, I would turn down the business. I won't build a Zencart (or other dynamic software) site on GoDaddy.

I think it's important that clients understand that you are the expert, and decisions like hosting should be yours, unless they have good reasons to the contrary. The customer isn't always right.

Having checked out your website, you guys are good enough that you don't need to take on business that will cause you problems down the road.
    Last edited by stevesh; 3 Sep 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Is she going to accept credit cards? I'll bet GD won't pass a PCI scan and if she's going to use LinkPoint/ First Data she'll need port 1129 and they won't open it.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

I just had a run in with godaddy.

I had to steer the client to another host. Basically, I told him that I cannot complete my job with this host. SSL was a nightmare. Pfft... Linkpoint was unusable. Their services are more screwed up than Peter O'Toole on his birthday.

But, hey, gotta love those commercials where godaddy makes you think they are the best! Gasp. Topless women and exciting commercials.

I have developed sites with godaddy ... using Drupal, Joomla, Zen Cart, and my own php. Most of them will display a 500 error and time out when the code is perfectly good.

Godaddy crams their servers beyond capacity and they are so overloaded that the average site cannot even run.

But, hey, those godaddy executives have boat payments to make and live in lavish vacation homes.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for that everyone. I will try to dissuade her from using GoDaddy. Sounds like a nightmare.

Plugin Contributions

Has anyone used any of the recommended hosts from here?