Plugin Contributions

Default Comstock template question

With the sad demise of Clyde I’m concerned about keeping his template for my site, I don’t want to have to change template as His was the only template I was happy with and the support I got from him was outstanding. When I started I was a complete novice but he and other users of his templates where always there to give advice, but I now have concerns about support as from what can see the support thread has gone quiet and if I have a problem there is nowhere to turn to. So I thought I’d start this threat to get other people’s opinions,
    Cheers Peter
    What ever your doing remember to KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid )

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Comstock template

Most of the questions that people ask about templates aren't really about the template at all, but general questions about how Zen Cart works. If you review the template support support threads, you'll see the same questions being asked in all of them.

And then, since we're used to answering questions about custom template problems, answering them for Clyde's templates won't be a problem, as his are better-structured than many DIY or even commercial templates.

If it's the right template for you. stick with it.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

As kuroi says, the vast majority of questions about template are really about how zencart works, and mainly about CSS when it comes to templates, like most contributions, the community will support them when the original contributors are no longer able to.

For Instance I personally support Image Handler (along with others) and a few other contributions none of which were started by me, but are things that from using (and developing) them i have learnt more about the way they work, and there are quite a number of gurus here, who can turn their hands and talent to pretty much anything.

You have probably picked up a few skills yourself that will be of benefit to help someone else who is starting out, and believe me making mistakes is the best way to learn, the things i know the best are the things that have been the most difficult to understand at the top .
    Webzings Design
    Semi retired from Web Design

Plugin Contributions

THanks guys for putting my mind a rest. I want to tweak the site a bit more and wasn't sure if I should keep working on comstock or find anothe template. I think with the upcoming upgrade to version 1.5 of zen I'll just install the Beta version and put a fresh copy of comstock on to work on then I'll be ready when the final release comes out, then hopfully all I'll have to do is upgrade.
    What ever your doing remember to KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid )