Plugin Contributions

Default [Not a bug] Different login screens when adding paypal express payment module

v1.5 beta
    Hello,
    When I don't have module install and click login, I get the normal login screen:
    Returning Customers: Please Log In
    New? Please Provide Your Billing Information.

When I have the module install and click login, it gives me a screen where the left side says new customer? and the right side says Returning Customers: Please Log In. Under the left side it has paypal payment button and also a sign up button.

Seems so confusing for the user. I click on login and all this comes up. Login should just have a field to enter username and password, nothing else. Wish the normal login screen didn't have the New? Please Provide Your Billing Information. But that is a separate issue I guess.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Different login screens when adding paypal express payment module

That is not a bug.
    If you dislike the presentation of the Express Checkout "shortcut button", simply turn it off in your ZC EC settings, and then the orange paypal button will no longer show on the login or checkout screens, thus forcing the customer to create an account in your store before they can proceed with checkout. This option was added in v1.3.9h, and refined a little in 1.5.0beta.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Dr Byte,
    Sorry, I didn't understand how it worked. In any case, is it possible to have the EC button during checkout under shopping cart page and also have the normal login screen when user clicks login?
    Last edited by ebaobao; 12 Sep 2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

No, the EC button is shown on the login screen because when you enable that feature it's supposed to allow the customer to click that button and go directly to Paypal before giving your store any customer information. If you change that to show the login screen directly then you're bypassing that requirement imposed by PayPal.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: [Not a bug] Different login screens when adding paypal express payment module

Just want to throw out there that the behavior is different based on whether theres a product in the shopping cart or not. With paypal EC enabled and if item is added to cart and I click on login, then it has the screen with:
    1. the left side says new customer? and the right side says Returning Customers: Please Log In. Under the left side it has paypal payment button and also a sign up button.
    2. if EC enabled and no item in cart and click login, then it brings up the normal lgin screen.

the login link should not be giving different screens based on items in the cart or not. login link and proceed to checkout link should display accordingly. #1 makes sense for proceed to checkout link and #2 for the login link. Those screens should not be coming up based on item in cart. Minor issue I know.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: [Not a bug] Different login screens when adding paypal express payment module

I'm not sure I agree.

If there's nothing in the cart, then there's NO reason to present a PayPal Checkout button, since they've not selected to purchase anything.
    Giving them a button to go to PayPal would be pointless. Besides, PayPal would give an error since they don't let you purchase $0.00 for obvious reasons.

If you wish to always show the split-login-page at login, then go to Admin->Configuration->Layout Settings->Use split-login page and set it to true.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Dr. Byte,
    OMG! I never knew about the split login page feature. With this feature enable, this has become even lesser of an issue or at all because the login screens now are pretty much the same. Thanks for pointing out this feature.