Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Can't access database after moving to GoDaddy

My former host disappeared off the planet a few days ago and I have to get my site running asap. I have purchased hosting from Godaddy and set up a whole new fresh install of Zencart (1.3.9h).

I had a complete backup of all the files which I uploaded successfully but I am now stuck because I cannot get the database to connect.

Here is what I found: My old SQL and admin config file does not reference zen_ on any tables at all but the new SQL and admin config does.

Other than comparing and making changes line by line on a huge SQL file, is there a way to get my database recognized by the new cart? As a test I edited the admin config file by removing the zen_ (define('DB_PREFIX', 'zen_') and the database was recognized but it caused my website to be in maintenance mode permanently. I then added the line back to the config which allowed me to access my store.

Any suggestions for an SQL and database dummy?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't access database after moving to GoDaddy

You moved TO GoDaddy.

Seriously... you moved TO this useless host?

Nobody moves a zencart store TO GoDaddy.

The only direction that makes sense is FROM Godaddy.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the help. No seriously, thanks for those great words of encouragement.

I understand everyone has their own opinion on hosts and I respect that. But after being with my old hosting provider for 12 years with absolutely no problems and great service, they just dropped off the face of the earth. Chances are Godaddy won't and up to this point I have had great customer support.

Once again, thanks for the kind words. I am sure responses like that will make new members just want to install Zen and ask all kinds of questions.

Plugin Contributions

Did you use the auto install (i.e. fantastico)?

Other than editing the sql file (making a copy first of course!), you could do a manual install of zen and simply choose not to use a prefix for your database tables. This way you should be able to just import your database and be on your merry way..

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by daneh View Post
    Thanks for the help. No seriously, thanks for those great words of encouragement.

I understand everyone has their own opinion on hosts and I respect that. But after being with my old hosting provider for 12 years with absolutely no problems and great service, they just dropped off the face of the earth. Chances are Godaddy won't and up to this point I have had great customer support.

Once again, thanks for the kind words. I am sure responses like that will make new members just want to install Zen and ask all kinds of questions.
    Its not an opinion, its fact. Most of the issues with sites happen on GoDaddys servers.

Plugin Contributions

While you can, get out of GoDaddy.

The developers of zencart (yes, the team who wrote this program) tried for many years to get GoDaddy to "invest" in technology - and adopt an operational culture - that meets the very sophisticated requirements of eCommerce and eCommerce hosting.

GoDaddy indicated - quite blatantly - that they had no intention of changing their modus operandii. Their business model is - and remains - "stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap".

They stuff their servers to breaking point with websites, and run them on bare minimum configurations.

You WILL have problems - possibly costly - down the line.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks everyone for your help.

Unfortunately I cannot afford the time, resources nor money to make the change to another host right now. I already have too much time and money spent on getting up and running as fast as I could. I am losing sales every day and to make matters even worse, I was finalizing my taxes using my data from the shopping cart when it went down. I chose Godaddy very late in the evening because I really don't have the time to research another host nor want to explain to the IRS why my taxes were not filed. At this point I will just spend some time with GD and then make a switch at a better time.

I installed Zen using the GD app installer. Not sure if it is a fantastico install or not.

I guess if no-one has an easy solution to make my database work I will have to make changes line by line on the large SQL file.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by daneh View Post
    Any suggestions for an SQL and database dummy?
    Rather than changing the SQL files to match the database why not change the database to match the SQL?

Don't forget that your DB username/password will have changed with your move.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

That was the first thing I had thought of so went to PHP Myadmin and poked around. I didn't see where to make that change.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You have two sets of data: one installed by GoDaddy using the prefix they chose, and one using whatever prefix you used on your old host.
    Set your configure.php files to use the old prefix and you'll be good to go.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast