Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default How do I add an Article to a specific product page

Hi again,

in an effort to maximise SEO and to feed the wonderful Google Panda I want to put an article on a product page (rather than have a very lengthy product description - article will be 1000 words plus). Ideally this article would be the last thing on the page below all other product info and additional images.

How can I achieve this? All assistance appreciated.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I add an Article to a specific product page

Why not rather put it into your product info page the normal way?

Plugin Contributions

Why not simply paste all the info in a div in the product description, and then set that div to {display:none}

Its a bit black hat, as it hides all the content from the user, (but Google can still read it and can be known as 'cloaking') but if the content is actually relevant to what is on the page already, site content, then its not a problem.

Lots of tabbed information pages use display:none to hide a tab untill the user selects to view it, and there are no problems there.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Soniccc View Post
    Why not rather put it into your product info page the normal way?
    and the normal way to put an article (not the description of the product) into a product page is ????

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dgent View Post
    Why not simply paste all the info in a div in the product description, and then set that div to {display:none}

Its a bit black hat, as it hides all the content from the user, (but Google can still read it and can be known as 'cloaking') but if the content is actually relevant to what is on the page already, site content, then its not a problem.

Lots of tabbed information pages use display:none to hide a tab untill the user selects to view it, and there are no problems there.
    the term Black Hat sends shivers down my spine - I have already been banned from Adsense 3 times

so - some help with script please and where to put it?

The Articles I want to appear on products pages will be relative to site content moreso than just the product albeit there will be relevance, e.g. product is a sterling silver pendant - the article is about how to clean sterling silver jewellery, or the product is a silver earring and the article is about silver jewellery and so on.

Ideally I would love to have the articles auto rotate like in the "new products for ... month" window (box) does on the index page. I would love to duplicate that process but make the content pool articles and not products - it would be fantastic for SEO, fresh content each time the bot spiders the page(s) in question. But I suppose that is just dreaming.

So some help with script and a GPS map would be great.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Google will spot this instantly... Major black-hatting. Not recommended.

One technique could be the use of TPP (Tabbed Products Pro). You can then "divvy up" the content under a series of TABS. Creating a CUSTOM tab is extremely simple with TPP. Full instructions with the add-on.

We get a desired effect HERE
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    Google will spot this instantly... Major black-hatting. Not recommended.

One technique could be the use of TPP (Tabbed Products Pro). You can then "divvy up" the content under a series of TABS. Creating a CUSTOM tab is extremely simple with TPP. Full instructions with the add-on.

We get a desired effect HERE
    Its only blackhatting if the content is nothing to do with the site, much like both of us have mentioned with the TPP....that uses hidden divs until the user makes it visible...but what if you got rid of the tab reveal button? Its no different is it?

Plugin Contributions

Its only blackhatting if the content is nothing to do with the site, much like both of us have mentioned with the TPP....that uses hidden divs until the user makes it visible...but what if you got rid of the tab reveal button? Its no different is it?
    Google will specifically look for display:none and visibility:hidden in the stylesheets. It will note the ID or CLASS, and then evaluate its application in the resultant HTML. If it believes that the content is designed to "pad" the page - purely for the purposes of Google, it will penalise the attempt.

It does the same with color:#xxxxxx declarations. Google will evaluate a background color - be it BODY, or ELEMENT-SPECIFIC, and then look at the font SIZE and font COLOR being applied. If it sees that the background color is too close to the font color, or the font size uncharacteristically "small", it will again evaluate the content in question and apply a penalty if it feels that the sole purpose of applying the styling is to "hoodwink" it into thinking there is more content visible to the viewer than there actually is.

The TPP module does not "permanently hide" text. It merely STRUCTURES it into manageable blocks. The embedded code that defines a tab is a simple HTML comment, and the display:none style declaration in the embedded js is mitigated by <a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="expandcontent('sc1', this)">, meaning that the there is a user choice to see additional content... it's not a one-way street.

We use TPP on many sites, and on some of them we have noticed that keyphrases used in these "hidden" tabs is actually responsible for delivering a good result from Google - so Google does not seem have a problem with the display:none declaration, if / when it can be shown to be mitigated by a user choice.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

We use TPP on many sites, and on some of them we have noticed that keyphrases used in these "hidden" tabs is actually responsible for delivering a good result from Google - so Google does not seem have a problem with the display:none declaration, if / when it can be shown to be mitigated by a user choice.
    Here's some EVIDENCE.

On the site I refer to in the earlier post, under the "HIDDEN" tab called "Applications", the opening few words read:

This extra-strength, emollient and exfoliating cream targets correction

Now... copy that italic text and put it into a Google search... Tell me what website, and web-page gets number one position in the results...

PS: As the site is UK, this may not work in other Google regions, but should work under google.co.uk
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

OK yeah I understand that - so what if you make the tab select button one pixel in size? Google shouldnt penalise, and would still see a link to view the content. But a real human would never know its there....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast