Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Customer Password not working

Hi,

I'm using:
    Zen Cart 1.3.9h
    Database Patch Level: 1.3.9h

This site was set up in July of this year and has been working just fine. I haven't done much customizing except for small CSS things like color.

Everything has been running just fine until today. I have one customer who cannot login although she did so successfully yesterday. I sell digital downloads. She needs to login to re-download something and can't. She used the link about forgotten password but what was sent won't allow her to login either. I have tried searching but all the topics I have found are about admin passwords.

Is there a way for me to reset this account or to get her a new password that actually works?

Thanks in advance
    GiGi

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer Password not working

The built-in password reset works just fine as long as you've not set the minimum password length to some insanely low number like less than 5.
    And, each time they use that it replaces their old password, so EVERY password they used previously is no longer valid.
    So, to login they MUST wait for the email and use that new password.
    Making multiple requests in a short time will result in them not knowing which new password is correct.

You could install the Encrypted Master Password addon, and see whether that allows you to login as the customer, and then change their password for them.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your response. Another resource recommended a different add on that has solved the problem.

GiGi

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The built-in password reset works just fine as long as you've not set the minimum password length to some insanely low number like less than 5.
    And, each time they use that it replaces their old password, so EVERY password they used previously is no longer valid.
    Making multiple requests in a short time will result in them not knowing which new password is correct.

You could install the Encrypted Master Password addon, and see whether that allows you to login as the customer, and then change their password for them.
    The same thing just began happening on one of my websites, recently upgraded to 1.3.9.h. Customer could not log in. Got "no match for that email address and/or password" message. I tried logging in using master password on several customer accounts with no success. I have the Encrypted Master Password add-on.

Also find that if I try to re-enter sign in info after getting the error the screen goes blank when submitted. Here is the last debug log entry:
    [12-Oct-2011 13:01:53] PHP Warning: session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/wilks/www/www/includes/configure.php:1) in /home/wilks/www/www/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 114
    [12-Oct-2011 13:01:53] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/wilks/www/www/includes/configure.php:1) in /home/wilks/www/www/includes/init_includes/init_templates.php on line 78
    Does this give a clue to what went wrong?
    Ron
    www.aspenshopsonline.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.wilkssupply.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.un-du.net - ZenCart 1.3.8a

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Thank you for trying to help but actually, this information is not totally correct. I did not reset the length of the password or do anything in administration that would affect any password or account. In fact, I had not been in the admin side for several days when this came up.

My customer requested a new password three different times, several hours apart each time and, after receiving each email, none of them worked. We were unable to get her logged in no matter what we did.

This exact same situation has just happened to me as I attempted to login to my account on another Zen Cart site so I know that the password reset does not work correctly all of the time. That site owner just deleted my account so I could create a new one. That unfortunately deletes my history on that site so I had hoped for a more elegant solution for my customer.

Thank you for trying to help though,
    GiGi

Plugin Contributions

I'm havng same problem as GigCS. Did a full restore from backup my host did a few days ago and problem persists. Symptoms vary between getting a blank screen or the error message.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ronlee67 View Post
    The same thing just began happening on one of my websites, recently upgraded to 1.3.9.h. Customer could not log in. Got "no match for that email address and/or password" message. I tried logging in using master password on several customer accounts with no success. I have the Encrypted Master Password add-on.

Also find that if I try to re-enter sign in info after getting the error the screen goes blank when submitted. Here is the last debug log entry:

Does this give a clue to what went wrong?
    Ron

Plugin Contributions

GigiCS:

Are you using Internet Explorer?

I normally use IE and am getting this problem. I just tried Firefox and all is well.

My thinking is that Microsoft may have updated IE overnight and there is a glitch.

Ron

Plugin Contributions

I take it back. Now I can't log in with IE, Firefox or Chrome. Apparently barking up the wrong tree.

I can log into the admin okay.

It does seem to be something external to Zencart because it happened to both of us on the same day to perfectly working websites.

Ron
    GigiCS:

Are you using Internet Explorer?

I normally use IE and am getting this problem. I just tried Firefox and all is well.

My thinking is that Microsoft may have updated IE overnight and there is a glitch.

Ron

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

[12-Oct-2011 13:01:53] PHP Warning: session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/wilks/www/www/includes/configure.php:1) in /home/wilks/www/www/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 114
    [12-Oct-2011 13:01:53] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/wilks/www/www/includes/configure.php:1) in /home/wilks/www/www/includes/init_includes/init_templates.php on line 78
    That's all a result of you having blank spaces or extra letters/characters on line 1 of your configure.php file, as the error message says.
    c/f: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=87

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by GigiCS View Post
    Thank you for trying to help but actually, this information is not totally correct. I did not reset the length of the password or do anything in administration that would affect any password or account. In fact, I had not been in the admin side for several days when this came up.
    I wasn't suggesting that you had recently changed the setting. Merely that sometimes people think they're smart by shortening the minimum length, and if you'd done that (whether today or yesterday or 3 years ago), that could complicate things.
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiCS View Post
    This exact same situation has just happened to me as I attempted to login to my account on another Zen Cart site so I know that the password reset does not work correctly all of the time.
    Well, if you'd be willing to diagnose the actual cause of the problem, I'd welcome the feedback.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Obscure_Issues
    I just tried on 6 different Zen Cart sites, all running v1.3.9h and the only customizations being graphics and CSS in the templates, no other addons, and cannot recreate the problems you describe. The password-reset email arrives just fine, and the password in the email works perfectly to allow me to login.
    I can't fix something I can't replicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast