Plugin Contributions

Default New Host Install - Temp URL Kills my Admin

I searched the FAQ. I read the FAQ. I Live the FAQ.

I'm moving hosts. I thought I did it right - spent a week reading the tutorials ahead of time. It didn't prepare me for this. I haven't moved my old domain on the DNS. My new host (hostgator) has me on a "temp" URL - just an IP address/~joejoejoe.
    When I signed up they asked for a domain name - I gave them the one I was using on the old host with the understanding they wouldn't move it on the DNS until I was ready. (Let's call that domain name joejoejoe.com)
    So I did a fresh install, got to the page where you click one tab to go to the storefront - that worked, and the other to go to admin. That didn't. I look in the URL bar of the browser and it says joejoejoe.com/admin. I panicked, deleted and did the fantastico install (I know, I'm sorry!!!) Now I can get to the storefront, and I can get to the admin page if I type in the entire string: tempurl/zc_admin/login.php
    But when I try to login and hit return - I get a 404 error and the URL says joejoejoe.com again. I tried changing the 2 config files, that didn't help. So I'm still stuck on step one - install a working ZC on the new host.
    Version 1.3.9.
    And if I seem strung out - it's 10:53 pm. I've been at it since 6:45 this morning. 3 pots of coffee, no lunch or dinner break and I am wired.............. Any help appreciated. If anyone has moved ZC to Hostgator I'd really like to talk to you if possible.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New Host Install - Temp URL Kills my Admin

About the best advice I can give that will help you solve your problems is that regardless of whether you are using a proper domain name, or the temp URL given to you by your host, the two zencart configure files MUST have the same information as the URL that you are using.

In other words, if you are having to access the site via
    IP address/~joejoejoe

The two configure files must also specify
    IP address/~joejoejoe in the HTTP server settings.

What happens if these don't match is that the first connection to the server (typed into the browser) will be valid, but from there onwards the URL is derived from the configuration settings, not from the address you entered.

"I look in the URL bar of the browser and it says joejoejoe.com/admin".

This is being obtained from your configuration file(s). You need to change it if accessing the site via IP address/~joejoejoe

Hopefully this is of some help.

Cheers
    Rod

ps. don't forget, there are TWO configure files, one for /admin/ the other for the storefront.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, thank you that is a very good observation. I did a wipe, again. I started from scratch and wouldn't you know it - on install zc figured out the correct url to put in. On the first try I'd changed it, and on the second try the fantastico just wasn't that fantastic. So I cruised through the install, got to the part about not logging in to admin until I fixed the config file and renamed admin. I was so happy to make it that far that I grabbed the file, made the three changes, and promptly uploaded the admin/includes/file to includes/file, overwriting that one in the process and now I have wiped it all and am ready to give it one more shot. But at least now I know what URL to put in and what to do next. That gave me a bit more energy - that and another pot of java and I'm headed for sunrise.

Plugin Contributions

And I'm in. I made every mistake you could make - twice. And the correct answer was just to let ZC make the decisions. Now the fun of moving over all of the files from the old store. Goodnight All.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
    thank you that is a very good observation.
    Hey, that was your observation, not mine.

I simply told you where it was coming from

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

And I'm in. I made every mistake you could make - twice
    LOL. I can't think of a better way to learn.

Seriously, if everything went well this time you'd probably have a helluva time later down the track when you have a 'live' store to update. As it is now you'll probably never make the same mistakes again.

There is no substitute for experience.

And the correct answer was just to let ZC make the decisions.

Cheers
    Rod

I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this. I hope that someone can give us an answer.
    Last edited by Kim; 13 Nov 2011 at 04:52 PM.

Plugin Contributions

It looks like you figured it out - at least your storefront shows. Are you still locked out of admin? If your store is working, but you can't get into admin then you should be able to download the two configure files and fix it in there.