Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Adding Aditional Images via Admin Add Product Page

When I was creating a Quick View for the product listing page I managed to create a way to upload a products additional images via the admin > product page.

I included a few images so you can see what I mean, Just wondering if this is something that the zen community would value as an add-on?

This is what the new ADD PRODUCT page looks like

Clicking on the Add Additional Image (1) link and so on open a div to upload image. See Image below

The Admin Product Preview page shows file upload success at the top and all additional images at bottom. See image below

After clicking update and returning to the Admin Add Product Page you will now see the image names that are stored in you database and you can over-ride or delete them just like you would the main image. See image below

If you notice I still use the ZEN image name structure this way no other code on the catalog side has to be altered.

Although It gives you the ability to add those additional images elsewhere by pulling the from your database like I did for my Quick View function on my product listing page. See image below

Let me know what you think and if this would be a good add-on?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding Aditional Images via Admin Add Product Page

I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate this, for instance shop owners/staff with limited skill who can't or won't learn to use FTP. The display of all additional images is a good feature for anybody's ease of maintenance (assuming the code gets the additional images from /images/ folder analysis and not from a new db table/field). I presume this would work with existing additional images as well as new ones added? What would happen if the user wanted to have more than 9 additional images?

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your input Glenn, it uploads all additional images to the /images/ folder and saves the image name to the product as an additional product field in db just like the main product image. Could even add these image names to db via EasyPopulate just like main image.

Like the main image it will over-ride and delete image name from db but not delete image from /images/ folder.

I haven't altered any code for example on the product_info page, so all the images uploaded with the ZEN additional image name structure will be linked to the main image as normal.

Not sure how it would handle existing additional images for they are only in /images/ folder and the names are not stored in the db. (I think, still exploring how zen additional images work)

As of right now (9) additional images is all I really need and haven't put much thought into allowing for more!

Plugin Contributions

Not sure how it would handle existing additional images for they are only in /images/ folder and the names are not stored in the db.
    Correct, the stock additional images are accessed purely through analysis of the base image name and matching filenames in the /images/ folders. I was hoping your new code would access them the same way (trading db lookups for filename matching). The product info page code still needs to go through the whole filename process, plus the db lookups in case filenames are not consistent with the stock system.

I would expect that you could still upload as many additional images as you liked relying on the filename matching, but they would not appear in the admin page as additional images; nor would existing additional images. The idea of not being able to work with more than 9 additional images in admin is one thing - anyone who hits that limit (probably rare) can be advised that there may be more that will show up on the product info page. But for images not processed through the code to not be acknowledged in admin as additional images, regardless of "blanks" in the 9 fields, strikes me as causing more confusion to people who do not use the new code exclusively.

Plugin Contributions

Well said, I will continue to work on this. Any additional ideas or input would be greatly appreciated Glenn.

Plugin Contributions

Using the stock additional image detection system for populating the admin product editing page would have the extra benefit of alerting people to matching filenames that they didn't expect, thus minimizing surprise additional images when viewing the site live.

Plugin Contributions

retract - I can upload images not relying on the filename matching of the stock zen code.

see image below - 3 different image names all saved to db, all showing as an additional image for that product.

Now see image below, adding code to call db field actually inserts correct additional images to correct product id's.

And with that said, simply using EP to insert additional image names in correct db field should assign existing images to product.

With that said, that will be my next test........

Plugin Contributions

Also being able to see all additional images via admin (product-preview page) would allow users to detect if any additional images did not belong.

The Code I inserted on my product_info pages does not rely on filename matching so it would be impossible for images with similar names to appear on products that the image wasn't assigned to.

Am I correct?

Plugin Contributions

Hmm... the available options are:
    Use stock filename matching for additional image features in admin, leaving existing additional image functions intact, and allowing other additional image mods to function normally;
    Create new additional image system and abandon the old, making any other additional image mods unusable;
    Keep the existing system and layer the new system on top of it, requiring both to run to handle additional images (and in some cases requiring special handling by other mods, in some cases not).

My opinion of the best mod is one that does its job with the least disruption to core code and other mods, unless it is so superior that the disruption is offset by other advantages.

Plugin Contributions

As always the Master breaks it down!

Create new additional image system and abandon the old, making any other additional image mods unusable;
    I am also using Image Handler 3 & Zen Lightbox, both are usable and currently working.

This simply takes the filename structure for additional images right out of the equation. Eliminating unwanted images, allowing you to assign any image to any product with any name at product creation, confirming and previewing additional images before updating and taking product live.

Leaving no error for same name images to magically appear where they are not wanted.

Also allows you to delete any image from product right from admin product page.

Like any other add-on, simply adding code will call these additional images, anywhere. product_listing, product_info, advanced_search, new_products, all_products.

Allows the unwillingness of learning FTP acceptable.
    Allows no confusion of adding additional images.
    Frees up the time spent renaming additional images.

It works for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast