Plugin Contributions

Default Need help updgrading from 1.3.8a to 1.3.9h

I've been putting off upgrading but can no longer do so. It looks really straight forward an easy to upgrade if you already have a 1.3.9 version to another letter, but going from 1.3.8 to 1.3.9 looks to be quite complicated by the directions because it talks about creating a new database to play around with. It also says I'll need to follow the FULL instructions in the docs folder, but I see no file named full instructions, just general installation and a whole bunch of files about upgrading one letter at a time.

Please tell me what I need to read and do to make this as simple as possible.
    Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need help updgrading from 1.3.8a to 1.3.9h

The simplest and safest way is to follow the upgrade instructions contained in the docs folder of the latest release.

Alternatively you could employ some commercial service for your upgrade.

Plugin Contributions

The simplest and safest way is to follow the upgrade instructions contained in the docs folder of the latest release.

That's my point. I did read them. There are 47 files in the docs folder and I have NO idea which one I should use as the starting point.

Help

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

www.zen-cart.com/upgrade and follow the links

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Is it possible to upgrade without having to create a new database and use your old one? The reason I am asking is that in order to "restore" the current database to the newly created one, I have to go through and change the name of the database in at least 100 places in the database file. While I can do that, my biggest concern is that while making the changes, I'll accidentially erase a character or two, causing important database feature to break and then I won't have a clue where the missing characters are because it's only 1 or two in a file full of characters.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ntonline View Post
    Is it possible to upgrade without having to create a new database and use your old one?
    You're completely misunderstanding the process. The reason for making a new database and importing a copy of your site into that new database is JUST to "stage" the upgrade for testing so that you can muck about with it until you've got it "right" before you actually do the real upgrade to the live site.
    It's a safety step. You can skip that step, but then you'll be back here asking us to rescue your store because it's suddenly not working for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntonline View Post
    The reason I am asking is that in order to "restore" the current database to the newly created one, I have to go through and change the name of the database in at least 100 places in the database file.
    Um, no, there's nothing like that anywhere in the upgrade process. Where do you get the idea that you need to change the name of the database in 100 places? That's totally bizarre!

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Where do you get the idea that you need to change the name of the database in 100 places?

From a link connected to the link you provided.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=108
    3. Testing
    Make a NEW database to install the new version of Zen Cart® into.

Restore your database from the backup in step #1 earlier into your NEW database just created.

How can a database be restored to a new one, when the new one has a different name? I get an error message telling me that the old database already exist and that I can't restore it to the "new" database.

It is quite possible that I am misunderstanding this because it has not made any sense for me to have redo everything. It is bizarre as well as a stupid and inefficent way of updating. So please tell me what I am not understanding because clearly the way I understand it is a very lenghty inefficent way to update.
    Last edited by ntonline; 11 Dec 2011 at 10:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Sounds like you've exported your database in an inefficient way whereby it names the database with each table it mentions.
    A much more efficient way is to follow these steps: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=103

Plugin Contributions

Ok, thank you.

Under Format-specific options:

Display comments (includes info such as export timestamp, PHP version, and server version)
    and structure and data

were both already checked. Directions say - Format-specific options: - You ONLY need to check the "structure and data" option.

Should I uncheck Display comments?

Additionally, under Data dump options:
    Dump binary columns in hexadecimal notation (for example, "abc" becomes 0x616263)
    and
    Dump TIMESTAMP columns in UTC (enables TIMESTAMP columns to be dumped and reloaded between servers in different time zones)
    are both prechecked. Should I uncheck them since the directions say nothing about those two options?

Thanks
    Last edited by ntonline; 12 Dec 2011 at 12:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'm not looking at your screen, so I can't speak to all the things you're seeing. But usually when people get "database already exists" errors, it means they missed the first step about selecting their database from the pulldown menu on the left before doing anything else, and then clicking on the Export tab afterward.
    Most everything else, if not mentioned, can be left at the normal defaults.