Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    22,024
    Plugin Contributions
    25

    Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

    I am using Godady VDS.
    Read about Godaddy on this forum... then go find a real host who can handle full-scale e-commerce.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,675
    Plugin Contributions
    2

    Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

    It seems that a very high percentage of the threads about loading time issues turn out to be sites hosted by Godaddy.

    I have an ongoing debate with a Godaddy fanboy who is absolutely convinced that they are God's gift to the hosting world, and that they can do no wrong. This forum is excellent for gathering ammunition.
    The best way to learn is to try stuff. But, back it up first.

  3. #13

    Idea or Suggestion Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

    Hi All

    I had the same issue and the reason for the issue was this,

    http://gamingcomputerbest.com/ (my site) Was running on a windows server and had a dynamic IP (sever) that was being shared by other users

    I called my hosting admin and had them change my sever to a Linux server and bought a private IP for around 8 GPB

    And that was all it took 1 hour later my site was like lightning,

    reason behind this was, zencart is running php files that are more compatible with Linux servers and buy buying a private dedicated server IP I am not sharing it with the rest of the web

    hope this is of some help to you friend check out the site now and you will see that the speed it very good.

    also just to add I am with Godaddy

    kind regards
    Luke
    Last edited by Gaming riggs; 6 Jan 2012 at 08:41 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,675
    Plugin Contributions
    2

    Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

    and buy buying a private dedicated server IP I am not sharing it with the rest of the web
    Dedicated IP address or dedicated server? If it's just a dedicated IP address, you are still sharing server resources with other sites. The real reason for the speed improvement is likely the fact that you moved from a Windows platform to a Linux platform.
    The best way to learn is to try stuff. But, back it up first.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    16
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaming riggs View Post
    Hi All

    I had the same issue and the reason for the issue was this,

    http://gamingcomputerbest.com/ (my site) Was running on a windows server and had a dynamic IP (sever) that was being shared by other users

    I called my hosting admin and had them change my sever to a Linux server and bought a private IP for around 8 GPB

    And that was all it took 1 hour later my site was like lightning,

    reason behind this was, zencart is running php files that are more compatible with Linux servers and buy buying a private dedicated server IP I am not sharing it with the rest of the web

    hope this is of some help to you friend check out the site now and you will see that the speed it very good.

    also just to add I am with Godaddy

    kind regards
    Luke
    Same exact situation here. We were using NopCommerce for a while and that required a Windows hosting acct, now with Zen had them just switch it over to Linux and the site is blazing fast now compared to the previous.. This was our last ditch effort with GoDaddy and if the site slows down in the future then we will probably be moving as well, but for no...GoDaddy! =)

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

    Quote Originally Posted by RescoCCC View Post
    It seems that a very high percentage of the threads about loading time issues turn out to be sites hosted by Godaddy.

    I have an ongoing debate with a Godaddy fanboy who is absolutely convinced that they are God's gift to the hosting world, and that they can do no wrong. This forum is excellent for gathering ammunition.
    Im not a fan boy of Godaddy by any stretch, however, I will say that the majority of issues that I see reported that ultimately seem to get blamed on GoDaddy are actually between the chair and the keyboard... Like the fact that many of those complaining about speed issues on GoDaddy have Zen Cart 1.5 running on a Windows server. THE INSTALL GUIDE PROMINENTLY STATES TO USE LINUX! Once moved to a linux box (GoDaddy or not) Zen Cart runs fine... Is that a GoDaddy issue? Nope. But many seem quick to say it is. Actually, it's the person who disregarded what the software requested and tried to shove it on a Windows box. I use multiple hosts. And I mean MULTIPLE. I develop in PHP/MySql, ASP.NET C#/VB.NET MSSQL Server, classic asp, perl, python, JAVA, Ruby, ORACLE PL/SQL, etc... in fact, you can name a language, server, database, web technology and I have likely worked with it. So here is some ammunition for your debate; be sure you absolutely know what you are talking about BEFORE you go down the evangelical path about hosts in an open discussion. Because I seriously have yet to experience an "issue" of any kind that was absolutely because of GoDaddy's servers. I will say that they restrict you in some areas (email relays, etc), but that is understood when you sign up for their services... unless you DIDN'T bother to call them and ask the right questions BEFORE you gave them money and developed and launched your application. You know... requirements acquisition. Any developer should know you don't just go grab a host and start hacking from the hip. You PLAN. In the event your client already has the host, you still PLAN. If that current host falls short in supporting your requirements due to resrictions, you either request what you need and get it, or you MOVE. ESPECIALLY if you are using pre-developed software like Zen Cart. Really? You save yourself time on developing your own cart, but you DON'T follow its installation guide? And THEN, to divert the attention from your own ignorance, you blame the HOST company? PSSSH! Anyway, I didn't mean to go off on a rant, and I mean no ill attitude. Mostly sarcasm, but there is a real message in there.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    289
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

    Quote Originally Posted by 377704497 View Post
    How to improve the performance of the database engine ?
    I am using Godady VDS.
    by the way,how to activate SSL for all pages for admin?
    No offense but why would anyone use GoDaddy? They are decent for domain names and female race car drivers!
    If I didn't have so many domain names I'd be gone from there too!
    Signature not needed

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    22,024
    Plugin Contributions
    25

    Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

    vividknowledge - Your points about proper development practices are all correct, but you are incorrect in assuming that everyone who installs Zen Cart is a "developer" who is to be expected to know the protocols. Many if not most individuals who install Zen Cart for themselves have never worked with e-commerce before and know nothing of server issues, databases, etc, nor should they necessarily be expected to, depending on the size of their business. A successful business expanding onto the web ought to have, learn or hire expertise, but most e-commerce platforms seem to make a point (in advertising/promoting) of not requiring the new user to have expertise because the platform does it all... and you know how often in all walks of life people fail to read the fine print.

    The point of all this is that Godaddy claims to be good for e-commerce as well as HTML pages, yet does not guide users directly to their more-or-less adequate versions of hosting.
    Last edited by gjh42; 17 Apr 2012 at 11:24 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

    Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    and you know how often in all walks of life people fail to read the fine print.

    The point of all this is that Godaddy claims to be good for e-commerce as well as HTML pages, yet does not guide users directly to their more-or-less adequate versions of hosting.
    gjh42 - You make a solid point and I understand exactly what you are saying, and I understand the frustrations a lot of people have when they get into what they were told would be easy only to find that it is actually quite complicated. All anyone needs to do is look up the average national salaries for Web sector jobs to see that those people in the sector command those salaries; and for good reason. But my main point was that it is NOT GoDaddy's fault that Zen Cart does not work well in Windows. In fact, it isn't anyone's fault. It is what it is.

    As for the fact that GoDaddy isn't clear and up front about which hosting plan a user should choose; it would understandably be a consulting nightmare (not to mention completely confusing to the end user) for them to list every possible scenario for someone to "choose wisely" from. Instead they take a different approach. Give the user EVERYTHING and let them figure it out on their own. When the user hits the brick wall, they do little to fix the issue. But why should they do anything. Would you fix a $500 problem for $5 a month? No. But they do have developers on hand willing to do things for an appropriate fee. All I am saying is that GoDaddy is no worse than other platforms out there (Think Network Solutions! OMG! That place is like the most retarded Server Administrators from GoDaddy had kids and started a company). Anyway, you get what you pay for. Godaddy's main down fall in my opinion when it comes to supplying the masses is offering TOO MUCH. That is why their stuff is difficult for most to wrap their heads around. But they do have some features available to correct the issues. For example; if you choose a Windows plan for hosting, then install Zen Cart 1.5 (With their installer) it actually installs fine. It runs as it is supposed to, albeit at 10 seconds per page, which pisses people off. (And yes they could have a little disclaimer explaining this will happen, which I have suggested to them) However, and this is the really cool part about their setup, you can go in and flip a switch to change your server over to a linux box (ironically called a "down" grade... go figure) and it happens seamlessly in a little over an hour! Imagine that... they take a complete site directory from a windows based server and flip it to a linux box in a relatively short period of time. And amazingly you do not need to "talk" to anyone to get it done.

    I tested Zen Cart 1.5 on not one, but 3 different hosting platforms in a Windows environment. Not one of them behaved any differently. They all sucked. I did 6 total installs across all of them. 3 with the host's auto installer and 3 manual installs. No change. All behaved exactly the same... and yes, one was GoDaddy. The other two were CrystalTech and JodoHost. Both of which I have tremendous experience with and both are VERY good. So, is it Godaddy? CrystalTech? JodoHost? no. Zen Cart simply does not play well with Windows (As is stated in LARGE PRINT during the installation... you can't miss it.)

    All I was trying to state is that "developers" in here would rather tell someone to move their site to another host rather than give a quick tip on how to satisfy the issues, regardless of the host... and to your point, not everyone who gets into this is or should be a developer, which makes a statement like "move your site" all the more ridiculous! Imagine the look on the poor saps face when they are told to move their entire site setup... As if they would know where to begin on that challenge (Site dir, database with all data, etc).

    In close, I appreciate your point and it is understood - we see eye to eye on that, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't make a better attempt at helping out even if we can't stand the host they have chosen... I too roll my eyes when a client mentions NetSol - but I still hunker down and make a smiling effort to help. Sorry if I come across crass, it is not intended that way. Text doesn't show the smile.

    Cheers.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan USA
    Posts
    19,722
    Plugin Contributions
    3

    Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

    Quote Originally Posted by vividknowledge View Post
    it is NOT GoDaddy's fault that Zen Cart does not work well in Windows.
    I agree with that. What I don't agree with is your contention that GoDaddy has no responsibility here. Regardless of how many plans or types of servers GD has, it doesn't seem like all that much to ask that they steer customers who plan to use dynamic, DB-driven software to Linux servers. Everyone here knows that Zencart may not perform well on a Windows server - I have to believe the GD tech people do too.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Slow index page
    By Cindy2010 in forum Templates, Stylesheets, Page Layout
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17 Jun 2010, 03:48 AM
  2. Slow Page Load Problem on GoDaddy
    By LKB1 in forum General Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 6 Jan 2010, 03:24 AM
  3. Main Page speed problem
    By gore in forum General Questions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 13 Oct 2009, 12:15 PM
  4. GoDaddy Treacle Speed Unbearably Slow.
    By limelites in forum General Questions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 4 Apr 2009, 04:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •