Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)?

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    it doesn't seem like all that much to ask that they steer customers who plan to use dynamic, DB-driven software to Linux servers.
    Why would ANY host do that? I happen to actually prefer to develop dynamic applications that are database driven in C# using SQL Server databases and/or Oracle. A linux box would do no good in that case (and no, MONO wouldn't cut it). However, I do agree with your statement that GoDaddy should be more proactive in displaying information that is relevant to any given task at hand, such as when attempting to install Zen Cart in a Windows plan, a message could (and should) display for the user to let them know that there are known issues with Zen Cart on Windows, the most prominent being speed. In fact, I believe I mention this in my previous post. I suppose I could counter argue that Zen Cart should be better programmed to work on Windows, especially on GoDaddy Windows servers. Mainly because it is one of the largest hosting companies and it is also the most complained about in this forum, which means there is a clear need for supporting that server platform better... however, asking such a thing would be ridiculous! Why? Because the software clearly states that it is better suited for Linux - and GoDaddy has Linux servers. So regardless of godaddy's existence, at a minimum I would implore folks to just do what the software says and install on the right platform... and that AMAZINGLY can be done without issue on a freakin Godaddy server! But of course, people install it on Windows anyway for one reason or another, and based on percentages, it will likely be a godaddy server... and then godaddy gets shoved under the bus again... its just a vicious cycle is all I am saying. I agree, godaddy could be better at informing people... Zen Cart could be better... Coca Cola shouldn't have released New Coke to start with, but not everything is what we all think it should be. Godaddy is CHEAP, and Zen Cart is FREE... and yet, with a little reading and paying attention, you can get quite a bit of bang for your little buck.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)? (GoDaddy is slow)

Quick note here though Stevesh... GoDaddy does actually attempt to steer people to Linux Servers. It is the default selection when signing up for hosting, and the radio button to change it isn't exactly noticeable. And to be clear, I showed no contention that GoDaddy isn't responsible for some of its issues (or didn't mean to anyway). I actually thought I made that clear in the post you responded to, but I apologize if it wasn't clear. They ARE responsible to their customer base. They COULD do more. But in the meantime, they aren't and I just don't think we as developers should punish the poor guy who comes here for help just because he is using GoDaddy. There are always solutions that do not require uprooting the house. Make sense?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: how to speed up index page (main page)? (GoDaddy is slow)

Are we done with the ranting and bashing now?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123